Self Conflict: MacBook Pro or Mac Pro? *Detailed Long Post*

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Standard, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Standard macrumors regular

I will be moving into residence late August for my Web Development & Animation major. I need to purchase a new computer & monitor. Software I will be using includes:

Adobe Photoshop CS3
    Adobe Illustrator CS3
    Adobe Flash CS3
    Coda

Luxology Modo 302
    Macintosh® Requirements (minimum)

* Mac® OS X 10.4 or later
    * Macintosh® G4, G5 or Intel processor

General System Requirements

* Minimum 1GB RAM
    * Minimum 100MB available hard disk space
    (3GB required for all content and integrated training materials)
    * OpenGL® accelerated graphics card and monitor capable of at least 1024 by 768 screen resolution
    * Internet connection required for initial product activation

AutoDesk Maya

Software

The 32-bit version of Autodesk® Maya® 2008 software is supported on any of the following operating systems:

* Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Business
    * Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional (SP2 or higher)
    * Red Hat® Enterprise Linux® 4.0 WS (U5)
    * Fedora™ Core 5
    * Apple® Mac OS® X 10.4.9 (PowerPC® and Intel® versions of Maya)

Hardware

At a minimum, the 32-bit version of Maya 2008 software requires a system with the following hardware:

* Windows and Linux: Intel Pentium® 4 or higher, AMD Athlon® 64, or AMD Opteron® processor
    * Macintosh®: Power Mac® G5 or Intel®-based Macintosh® computers
    * 2 GB RAM
    * 2 GB hard disk space
    * Qualified hardware-accelerated OpenGL® graphics card
    * Three-button mouse with mouse driver software
    * DVD-ROM drive

AutoDesk 3ds Max(Yes, BootCamp)
    Software

The 32-bit version of Autodesk® 3ds Max® 2009 software is supported on any of the following operating systems:

* Microsoft® Windows Vista®
    * Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional (SP2 or higher)

The 64-bit version of 3ds Max 2009 software is supported on any of the following operating systems:

* Microsoft Windows Vista
    * Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64

3ds Max 2009 software requires the following browser:

* Microsoft® Internet Explorer® 6 or higher

3ds Max 2009 software requires the following supplemental software:

* DirectX® 9.0c* (required)

Hardware

At a minimum, 3ds Max 2009 32-bit software requires a system with the following:

* Intel® Pentium® 4 or AMD Athlon® XP or higher processor
    * 512 MB RAM (1 GB recommended)
    * 500 MB swap space (2 GB recommended)
    * Hardware-accelerated OpenGL® and Direct3D® supported
    * Microsoft Windows–compliant pointing device (optimized for Microsoft® IntelliMouse®)
    * DVD-ROM drive

Note: Apple® computers based on Intel processors and running Microsoft operating systems are not currently supported.

At a minimum, 3ds Max 2009 64-bit software requires a system with the following:

* Intel EM64T, AMD Athlon 64 or higher, AMD Opteron® processor
    * 1 GB RAM (4 GB recommended)
    * 500 MB swap space (2 GB recommended)
    * Hardware-accelerated OpenGL and Direct3D supported
    * Microsoft Windows–compliant pointing device (optimized IntelliMouse)
    * DVD-ROM drive

That sums up my required software (specifications for 3d applications displayed, I know Adobe products will run fine).

I have been a gamer my whole life and will continue to be. These are some games that I would like to play(Yes, BootCamp, I know):

Unreal Tournament III
    System requirements Windows XP/Vista

* 2.0 GHz single core CPU (2.4 GHz dual core CPU or faster recommended)
    * 512 MB RAM (1.0 GB RAM or greater recommended)
    * 8.0 GB hard disk space
    * NVIDIA 6200 or ATI 9600 graphics card (NVIDIA 7800GTX or ATI X1300 or faster recommended)
    * sound card
    * Internet (TCP/IP) and LAN (TCP/IP) play supported.

Crysis System Requirements - Official
    Minimum
    * OS - Windows XP or Windows Vista
    * Processor - 2.8 GHz or faster (XP) or 3.2 GHz or faster* (Vista)
    * Memory - 1.0 GB RAM (XP) or 1.5 GB RAM (Vista)
    * Video Card -256 MB**
    * Hard Drive - 12GB

Recommended
    * OS - Windows XP / Vista
    * Processor - Intel Core 2 DUO @ 2.2GHz or AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+
    * Memory - 2.0 GB RAM
    * GPU - NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS/640 or similar
    * Sound Card - DirectX 9.0c compatible

The Orange Box
    * Processor: Intel Pentium 4 3000 MHz /
    * Display Card!: DirectX 9 compatible graphics card /
    * Memory: 1024MB
    * Free Disk Space: 5GB
    * Operating System: Microsoft Windows 2000/XP/Vista

I also play World of Warcraft. I have interest in some newer games that will be coming out and hope to be able to play them. I realize that eye candy may not be set to the max, but how well could I experience these forms of entertainment? I have searched YouTube, watched positive reviews, then I have read credible reviews on notebook/desktop websites producing negative articles.

I am looking at purchasing a 23" Apple Cinema Display or 30" Apple Cinema Display depending on my budget.

Currently I am looking a new MacBook Pro 15" NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 512MB vs a mac pro. Depending on the system, which configuration of memory should I get (I know not through Apple). If looking at the Mac Pro, which GPU customizations should I look at?

Portability is not required for my program, but I am highly considering it. Which machine do you recommend and why? How will it perform differently for my work and entertainment uses?

I am looking/hoping to purchase at the end of August before I move into residence on the 29th.

Sorry if this post is redundant...I have done some research on my own filled with mixed views. I am looking for help from professionals such as yourself :D

Thank you in advance to whoever contributes to this thread constructively.

2. CharlieKirk macrumors 6502

If you can afford it go Mac Pro + 30" ACD
    Suggested spec:

Absolute base, in-store* ie 2.8GHZ x2 quad-cores, 2gb ram (upgrade to 16 from owc), 320GB hd (upgrade from owc/bb if you need to), get the ATIs the 8800gts are good but not good with they're price.

3. DaveF macrumors 6502a

It seems it's simply a question of how much you need/want processing power versus portability. You get more computer power for your money with a desktop. But if portability is important, no amount of CPU speed will compensate for not having it.

If you need to do work outside your office, or have a strong desire to work outside the office, then portability is a priority is MBP is a good option.

But if speed is the top priority, you can buy a Mac Pro that is faster than any MBP you can buy.

You can also make compromises: buy a low-end Mac Pro and a MacBook. Or buy a less expensive 30" display (e.g. Dell) and put the savings towards a MacBook to complement the Mac Pro.

4. Standard thread starter macrumors regular

I believe I may be required to bring a portable for my internship. How would the latest MBP's fare for my needs/wants? Will rendering time in above listed 3d apps be somewhat efficient? I've read mixed reviews on the MBP's GPU, what do you guys think?