Self contained e-book/ibook creator software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by phrehdd, May 5, 2014.

1. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

Is there any decent e-book/ibook creator software out there that doesn't require services or other software to complete advanced work?

Should be able to work with the typical items - tablets, touch screen phones etc. Though ease of use is ideal, a more complex software is also okay. It just needs to get the job done.

Either Windows or Apple (though Apple OS preferred).

2. MacCruiskeen macrumors 6502

The short answer is no, not really.

The slightly longer answer is, it depends, on what you're using for source material and how complex it is (does it have notes, illustrations, etc, or is it plain text?)

Where I work, we produce our ebook files from the Indesign files we use for printing, but I don't recommend this approach unless you need print files as well. Ebook conversion from Indesign is a PITA.

There's iBooks Author, but since it produces a proprietary iBooks-only file, it's not really very useful unless that's all you want.

Producing files for the Kindle requires Amazon software, which is free and fairly reliable. Debugging the closed proprietary files is kind of a pain, though.

3. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I don't know what constitutes "advanced work" but iWork Pages can create .epub ebooks.

4. exegete77 macrumors 6502a