Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EmilioCube

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2023
Karlsruhe, Germany
The blue-board XFX 6200 is not only older than the much more commonly seen black ones, it also likes to destroy itself. I flashed one (with the downclocked ROM!) to see what difference in heat it makes to my black 6200, and after about 15 minutes of iTunes audio playback and nothing else running, A LOT of smoke came out of the small ventilation holes for the GPU on the Case‘s top. Seems like the capacitor plague infected the blue boards but not the black ones, as especially taiwan capacitors like on this blue board were infected. Stay away from these!
You cant really see anything in the picture but the black capacitor on the right side of the smal ferrit coil was the faulty one.
image.jpg

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
Interesting. I've only ever seen/used/flashed the black WANG boards, with the breakout connector for... VGA, was it? It's been a while...

EmilioCube

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2023
Karlsruhe, Germany
Yup, the outputs are DVI, S-Vid and VGA. I dont even know if the ROM makes the S-Vid output work but it is as ancient as the telephone modem in the Cube is, so I dont care.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.