Self-ejected internal HD not found

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by tominwa, Dec 2, 2014.

1. tominwa macrumors newbie

Yosemite left a message on my desktop last night saying that one of my four internal hard drives on my Mac Pro was not ejected properly. I didn't eject it; the system did sometime in the middle of the night.

Finder, of course, doesn't show the disk, but then neither does Disk Utility (yes, I restarted before looking).

Is this the sign of a catastrophic failure done quietly? Is there another way to get a heartbeat from the missing disk?

Thanks.

2. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

3. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Be sure to try a full restart, not just "Restart" from the menu.
    Shut down.
    Unplug power cord.
    Reseat the drive sleds (I'm assuming a MPro.)
    Boot normally.
    If the 'missing' hard drive still doesn't mount, check in Disk Utility. If nothing, double-check in your System Information/SATA tab, then the Storage tab.

If you still get nothing at all - then you can determine the drive may be dead.
    Swap the drive to another sled/slot as another check.

4. tominwa thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks to DeltaMac

I followed your instructions to the letter, and the disk showed up on the reboot (it wasn't necessary to delve into Disk Utility).

The disk didn't seem to be unseated, but I pulled it, dusted it off, and stuck it back in. In fact, the only issue in the inner sanctum was more dust than I expected, and I dusted that up.

Thanks for your help.