Self-employment

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Pika, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

It’s funny that when people reach a certain age, such as after graduating college, they assume it’s time to go out and get a job. But like many things the masses do, just because everyone does it doesn’t mean it’s a good idea. In fact, if you’re reasonably intelligent, getting a job is one of the worst things you can do to support yourself. There are far better ways to make a living than selling yourself into indentured servitude.

Here are some reasons you should do everything in your power to avoid getting a job:

1. Income for dummies.

Getting a job and trading your time for money may seem like a good idea. There’s only one problem with it. It’s stupid! It’s the stupidest way you can possibly generate income! This is truly income for dummies.

Why is getting a job so dumb? Because you only get paid when you’re working. Don’t you see a problem with that, or have you been so thoroughly brainwashed into thinking it’s reasonable and intelligent to only earn income when you’re working? Have you never considered that it might be better to be paid even when you’re not working? Who taught you that you could only earn income while working? Some other brainwashed employee perhaps?

Don’t you think your life would be much easier if you got paid while you were eating, sleeping, and playing with the kids too? Why not get paid 24/7? Get paid whether you work or not. Don’t your plants grow even when you aren’t tending to them? Why not your bank account?

Who cares how many hours you work? Only a handful of people on this entire planet care how much time you spend at the office. Most of us won’t even notice whether you work 6 hours a week or 60. But if you have something of value to provide that matters to us, a number of us will be happy to pull out our wallets and pay you for it. We don’t care about your time — we only care enough to pay for the value we receive. Do you really care how long it took me to write this article? Would you pay me twice as much if it took me 6 hours vs. only 3?

Non-dummies often start out on the traditional income for dummies path. So don’t feel bad if you’re just now realizing you’ve been suckered. Non-dummies eventually realize that trading time for money is indeed extremely dumb and that there must be a better way. And of course there is a better way. The key is to de-couple your value from your time.

Smart people build systems that generate income 24/7, especially passive income. This can include starting a business, building a web site, becoming an investor, or generating royalty income from creative work. The system delivers the ongoing value to people and generates income from it, and once it’s in motion, it runs continuously whether you tend to it or not. From that moment on, the bulk of your time can be invested in increasing your income (by refining your system or spawning new ones) instead of merely maintaining your income.

This web site is an example of such a system.

Sure it takes some upfront time and effort to design and implement your own income-generating systems. But you don’t have to reinvent the wheel — feel free to use existing systems like ad networks and affiliate programs. Once you get going, you won’t have to work so many hours to support yourself. Wouldn’t it be nice to be out having dinner with your spouse, knowing that while you’re eating, you’re earning money? If you want to keep working long hours because you enjoy it, go right ahead. If you want to sit around doing nothing, feel free. As long as your system continues delivering value to others, you’ll keep getting paid whether you’re working or not.

Your local bookstore is filled with books containing workable systems others have already designed, tested, and debugged. Nobody is born knowing how to start a business or generate investment income, but you can easily learn it. How long it takes you to figure it out is irrelevant because the time is going to pass anyway. You might as well emerge at some future point as the owner of income-generating systems as opposed to a lifelong wage slave. This isn’t all or nothing. If your system only generates a few hundred dollars a month, that’s a significant step in the right direction.

2. Limited experience.

You might think it’s important to get a job to gain experience. But that’s like saying you should play golf to get experience playing golf. You gain experience from living, regardless of whether you have a job or not. A job only gives you experience at that job, but you gain ”experience” doing just about anything, so that’s no real benefit at all. Sit around doing nothing for a couple years, and you can call yourself an experienced meditator, philosopher, or politician.

The problem with getting experience from a job is that you usually just repeat the same limited experience over and over. You learn a lot in the beginning and then stagnate. This forces you to miss other experiences that would be much more valuable. And if your limited skill set ever becomes obsolete, then your experience won’t be worth squat. In fact, ask yourself what the experience you’re gaining right now will be worth in 20-30 years. Will your job even exist then?

Consider this. Which experience would you rather gain? The knowledge of how to do a specific job really well — one that you can only monetize by trading your time for money – or the knowledge of how to enjoy financial abundance for the rest of your life without ever needing a job again? Now I don’t know about you, but I’d rather have the latter experience. That seems a lot more useful in the real world, wouldn’t you say?

3. Lifelong domestication.

Getting a job is like enrolling in a human domestication program. You learn how to be a good pet.

Look around you. Really look. What do you see? Are these the surroundings of a free human being? Or are you living in a cage for unconscious animals? Have you fallen in love with the color beige?

How’s your obedience training coming along? Does your master reward your good behavior? Do you get disciplined if you fail to obey your master’s commands?

Is there any spark of free will left inside you? Or has your conditioning made you a pet for life?

Humans are not meant to be raised in cages. You poor thing…

4. Too many mouths to feed.

Employee income is the most heavily taxed there is. In the USA you can expect that about half your salary will go to taxes. The tax system is designed to disguise how much you’re really giving up because some of those taxes are paid by your employer, and some are deducted from your paycheck. But you can bet that from your employer’s perspective, all of those taxes are considered part of your pay, as well as any other compensation you receive such as benefits. Even the rent for the office space you consume is considered, so you must generate that much more value to cover it. You might feel supported by your corporate environment, but keep in mind that you’re the one paying for it.

Another chunk of your income goes to owners and investors. That’s a lot of mouths to feed.

It isn’t hard to understand why employees pay the most in taxes relative to their income. After all, who has more control over the tax system? Business owners and investors or employees?

You only get paid a fraction of the real value you generate. Your real salary may be more than triple what you’re paid, but most of that money you’ll never see. It goes straight into other people’s pockets.

What a generous person you are!

5. Way too risky.

Many employees believe getting a job is the safest and most secure way to support themselves.

Morons.

Social conditioning is amazing. It’s so good it can even make people believe the exact opposite of the truth.

Does putting yourself in a position where someone else can turn off all your income just by saying two words (”You’re fired”) sound like a safe and secure situation to you? Does having only one income stream honestly sound more secure than having 10?

The idea that a job is the most secure way to generate income is just silly. You can’t have security if you don’t have control, and employees have the least control of anyone. If you’re an employee, then your real job title should be professional gambler.

6. Having an evil bovine master.

When you run into an idiot in the entrepreneurial world, you can turn around and head the other way. When you run into an idiot in the corporate world, you have to turn around and say, “Sorry, boss.”

Did you know that the word boss comes from the Dutch word baas, which historically means master? Another meaning of the word boss is “a cow or bovine.” And in many video games, the boss is the evil dude that you have to kill at the end of a level.

So if your boss is really your evil bovine master, then what does that make you? Nothing but a turd in the herd.

Who’s your daddy?

7. Begging for money.

When you want to increase your income, do you have to sit up and beg your master for more money? Does it feel good to be thrown some extra Scooby Snacks now and then?

Or are you free to decide how much you get paid without needing anyone’s permission but your own?

If you have a business and one customer says “no” to you, you simply say “next.”

8. An inbred social life.

Many people treat their jobs as their primary social outlet. They hang out with the same people working in the same field. Such incestuous relations are social dead ends. An exciting day includes deep conversations about the company’s switch from Sparkletts to Arrowhead, the delay of Microsoft’s latest operating system, and the unexpected delivery of more Bic pens. Consider what it would be like to go outside and talk to strangers. Ooooh… scary! Better stay inside where it’s safe.

If one of your co-slaves gets sold to another master, do you lose a friend? If you work in a male-dominated field, does that mean you never get to talk to women above the rank of receptionist? Why not decide for yourself whom to socialize with instead of letting your master decide for you? Believe it or not, there are locations on this planet where free people congregate. Just be wary of those jobless folk — they’re a crazy bunch!

9. Loss of freedom.

It takes a lot of effort to tame a human being into an employee. The first thing you have to do is break the human’s independent will. A good way to do this is to give them a weighty policy manual filled with nonsensical rules and regulations. This leads the new employee to become more obedient, fearing that s/he could be disciplined at any minute for something incomprehensible. Thus, the employee will likely conclude it’s safest to simply obey the master’s commands without question. Stir in some office politics for good measure, and we’ve got a freshly minted mind slave.

As part of their obedience training, employees must be taught how to dress, talk, move, and so on. We can’t very well have employees thinking for themselves, now can we? That would ruin everything.

God forbid you should put a plant on your desk when it’s against the company policy. Oh no, it’s the end of the world! Cindy has a plant on her desk! Summon the enforcers! Send Cindy back for another round of sterility training!

Free human beings think such rules and regulations are silly of course. The only policy they need is: “Be smart. Be nice. Do what you love. Have fun.”

10. Becoming a coward.

Have you noticed that employed people have an almost endless capacity to whine about problems at their companies? But they don’t really want solutions – they just want to vent and make excuses why it’s all someone else’s fault. It’s as if getting a job somehow drains all the free will out of people and turns them into spineless cowards. If you can’t call your boss a jerk now and then without fear of getting fired, you’re no longer free. You’ve become your master’s property.

When you work around cowards all day long, don’t you think it’s going to rub off on you? Of course it will. It’s only a matter of time before you sacrifice the noblest parts of your humanity on the altar of fear: first courage… then honesty… then honor and integrity… and finally your independent will. You sold your humanity for nothing but an illusion. And now your greatest fear is discovering the truth of what you’ve become.

I don’t care how badly you’ve been beaten down. It is never too late to regain your courage. Never!

Still want a job?

If you’re currently a well-conditioned, well-behaved employee, your most likely reaction to the above will be defensiveness. It’s all part of the conditioning. But consider that if the above didn’t have a grain of truth to it, you wouldn’t have an emotional reaction at all. This is only a reminder of what you already know. You can deny your cage all you want, but the cage is still there. Perhaps this all happened so gradually that you never noticed it until now… like a lobster enjoying a nice warm bath.

If any of this makes you mad, that’s a step in the right direction. Anger is a higher level of consciousness than apathy, so it’s a lot better than being numb all the time. Any emotion — even confusion — is better than apathy. If you work through your feelings instead of repressing them, you’ll soon emerge on the doorstep of courage. And when that happens, you’ll have the will to actually do something about your situation and start living like the powerful human being you were meant to be instead of the domesticated pet you’ve been trained to be.

Happily jobless

What’s the alternative to getting a job? The alternative is to remain happily jobless for life and to generate income through other means. Realize that you earn income by providing value — not time – so find a way to provide your best value to others, and charge a fair price for it. One of the simplest and most accessible ways is to start your own business. Whatever work you’d otherwise do via employment, find a way to provide that same value directly to those who will benefit most from it. It takes a bit more time to get going, but your freedom is easily worth the initial investment of time and energy. Then you can buy your own Scooby Snacks for a change.

And of course everything you learn along the way, you can share with others to generate even more value. So even your mistakes can be monetized.

One of the greatest fears you’ll confront is that you may not have any real value to offer others. Maybe being an employee and getting paid by the hour is the best you can do. Maybe you just aren’t worth that much. That line of thinking is all just part of your conditioning. It’s absolute nonsense. As you begin to dump such brainwashing, you’ll soon recognize that you have the ability to provide enormous value to others and that people will gladly pay you for it. There’s only one thing that prevents you from seeing this truth — fear.

All you really need is the courage to be yourself. Your real value is rooted in who you are, not what you do. The only thing you need actually do is express your real self to the world. You’ve been told all sort of lies as to why you can’t do that. But you’ll never know true happiness and fulfillment until you summon the courage to do it anyway.

The next time someone says to you, “Get a job,” I suggest you reply as Curly did: ”No, please… not that! Anything but that!” Then poke him right in the eyes.

You already know deep down that getting a job isn’t what you want. So don’t let anyone try to tell you otherwise. Learn to trust your inner wisdom, even if the whole world says you’re wrong and foolish for doing so. Years from now you’ll look back and realize it was one of the best decisions you ever made.

Final thoughts

While I wouldn’t recommend starting on online business for everyone, for many people it’s one of the best ways to generate income without a job. It has certainly worked disgustingly well for me.

2. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

At the most glib level - the only level that I'd perhaps really be willing to discuss on a forum - maybe most people want to work 9 to 5 and not worry about the rest. For many people, it takes a 9 to 5 job to guide them to something totally different.

From my perspective as someone who has been employed in different capacities and also as an employer, I'd have to say it's nowhere near as clear-cut as you say, and it's fairly typical of the 'I'm right' combination of lack of relevant two-sided experience and ego apparently especially prevalent among many of the more committed-to-the-main-subject-under-discussion in this forum.

3. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

The only reason im self employed is because i struggle to work for people who are more stupid than me, and when your an employee its hard to tell your boss that they're doing something wrong. When your self employed people are asking you what they're doing wrong, its much more convenient.

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I've been self employed since leaving university and it's not great. My hours are flexible but as Seshi mentioned; now I'd rather have a job that I can focus on from 9-5 and then drop any worries and stress and get back to my life. The money just isn't constant enough.

Thankfully I'm courting 2 job offers and whilst it won't be strictly a "9-5" it's much better than my current situation. And I can't ruddy wait.

Btw I couldn't find that epic eyerolling smilie. So this will have to do :rolleyes:

5. detz macrumors 65816

I do both and I've always thought about branching out but I would have to earn around double what my salary is now to survive working for myself because of taxes, insurance,401k match and other stuff we don't realize jobs pay for. That and I would miss beer Friday and talking to people.

6. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Unfortunately it doesn't always work like that — unless you're doing really menial stuff, which I assume with your skills and talent you won't be doing. :p

My partner has a "9-5" job… believe me when I say the worries and stress definitely do not stop at some mythical 5 o' clock.
    He just had a break of 5 days. Of which 3 were spent via remote access working. The other 2? He caught up on sleep.

Me? I'm self-employed.
    Probably because I am happy with my own company, but also by nature of work.
    I get my work done. I create "stuff" :D and am as happy as anyone can manage to be these days.
    I just wish my partner would give up his "9-5" and stop stressing and worrying…
    :(

Self-employed doesn't mean destitution. ;) And you don't become a recluse either. Depends on your personality.
    Some people are made for "team" work and for some like me it is anathema. :D

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I see what you mean actually. What I probably meant to say was that as it stands now I have much more stress because if I don't reach my target - I don't get a penny. At least if I was in full time employment or under a publisher I would still get paid but just tick off the bosses and have to work overtime, which I wouldn't mind. I love doing what I do.

8. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

That makes much more sense. :)

9. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I love the OPs points of view, and somebody like that is very well suited for multi level marketing, inventing, or investing.

Trading work for money via salary, wage, or billable hours can be a prison sentence for some, while it's in the comfort level for others. It's still much easier to work 9-5 and then have the rest of the time to unwind doing what one loves.

Passive income usually takes a person who is smarter than others, far more resilient, knows how to take no for an answer, and is a self starter of the most extreme. If you are that person, then making money while you sleep passively is your destiny, but for most of us, we are simply not that strong.

Some ways I have seen in my life are these:

Amway - the truly committed make it work but it takes time and a lot of working for no money in the beginning

Investing - if you can see the market better than Warren Buffet, who this year lost 12 billion dollars

Creative - one friend of mine got royalties from one of the world's best selling posters/photographs and it sustained him for several years and gave him massive amounts of free time

Inventor - Robert Kiyosaki, who started with the velcro wallet, and then moved on to make passive income through writing best sellers about inventing, passive income in general, and personal enrichment

I think passive income is the road less taken and favors those who don't have the brainwashing of a college education, families that did it the old fashioned way working 9-5, or live in an area of corporate slaves

The investor I know trashed legality and took a chance with ponzi schemes and arbitrage and got away with it. Big risks, and even bigger payoffs. Most ponzi schemers get away with it because they don't do it on the scale of a Bernie Madoff, and Madoff himself was still not on the radar of the SEC for years.

The creative guy I know who hit it with that one famous poster/picture was a hippie who thought outside of the box and that thinking paid off handsomly.

And the great Robest Kiyosaki, well after making millions with his inventions, he became homeless, but then made many more millions selling books about passive income and this time his wealth is here to stay.

Amway, while not me, is both Kiyosaki's top recommendation or any MLM whether it be soap, vitamins, insurance, whatever, and it has worked for the largest amount of people who have escaped the 9-5 rut. A person probably, imho, has to be innately suited for not trading working for money and inclined to build up a large down line in a MLM. I had a insurance MLM opportunity but it wasn't me, but you made money not by selling insurance, but by recruiting other insurance sales staff under you and taking a percentage of their sales. They are the 4th largest insurance company in America.

I would be more akin to inventing or writing something.

10. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

One problem. You can wind-up with an a$$hat for a boss, and no life.

11. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I don't believe there is any right answer to this.

Each one of us has our own skill set. Some are better suited for 9-to-5 and others are better suited to self-employment. Both types of work have their pros and cons.

The key is to find which works best for you, the pursue your dreams.

12. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I have worked the 9-5 and I have been self-employed. I think the OP's main issue is that you can make passive income via MLM, inventions, royalties, or investing.

One extremely fine line to keep in mind is what may or may not be legal and one should do their own homework and not break some law you didn't know existed. Hopefully a big company will operate legally and ethically, but in passive income streams, it is easy to non intentionally fall into an illegal passive income scheme (ponzi or whatever) and end up in jail.

Big companies who do MLM and/or ponzis, like one I mentioned (but not by name) are not above hiring thugs to scare you or lawyers to threaten you. There are some well known self help religions and new age self improvement groups who have become big and in order to protect their assets, have hired attorneys and/or mercenaries to protect their little empires. Basically not unlike the Mexican drug cartels, but instead of having drugs, they have legitimate products, insurance, and services. Same trick, same violence, just done wearing 3 piece suits. If the money seems easy, then the harder those organizations will go after you if you rat on them, and the harder the crowd of thugs which will populate that industry. You don't see gangs in the hard work of raising kiwi fruit, which has a small profit margin, but you will see gangs in high margin, easy money businesses such as selling meth and other illicit drugs.

While working towards passive income is the best idea out there, the easy money myth of it attracts many criminal elements much like the working from home schemes. Having had my identity stolen by a work from home company during their "vetting" process, I have become wary of anything that sounds "easier" than the typical 9-5 grind. Cyber-commuting is easy for companies and is a good idea, but just as easy for scammers, too.

Computers have made passive income, MLMs, working from home, and other non-traditional income streams an increasing reality as well as the latest temptation to the opportunists out there in the white collar criminal world.

That being said, not all forms of passive income are criminal operations, though many who look legit are in the courts as we speak battling fraud and class action suits. Anyway Google famous MLMs, big time cults (which are ultimately successful businesses), and ponzis and the web will give you both sides and it's up to each individual to decide how far they want to go and where that line is that don't want to cross.

Again, working for a big company gives some protection so they themselves don't cross those lines of monopoly, theft, fraud, violence, coercion, etc. Usually works unless you are Microsoft who have been said to cross the "M'' line. ;)

13. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

great post op

i am feeling that same way as i am not a fan of 9-5

i figure im intelligent enough to find a creative way to make money. just got to have the mindset to do so

14. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Agree.

But everything has it's pros and cons. Take real estate. You would be like someone I know who has 7 homes of which 3 are vacant. Not a fun time for him. Or take another fellow I know who had his home turned into a crack/cocaine house.

Of course I know folks who have done very well in that area as well.

MLM, inventions, royalties and investing all have their issues and risks. Anything worthwhile will take effort. That much is certain.

15. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

That is so true.

Real estate, where I live which is one of the foreclosure capitals of the world even before this current real estate crisis, is pretty self explanatory. Real estate today is like dot.bomb of the past.

Royalties/inventions would be the way to go if I could come up with something useful.

If I had taken up the insurance job, which sounded way too good to be true, I would be under the microscope of a Federal Judge and Federal prosecutors today. I almost took it when I couldn't help but shake the feeling that the "boss" was a cross between Jim Bakker and Jim Jones and he and a couple of his minions at the top of the pyramid were rich and all the others were slaves. Again, not all pyramids are illegal, but this one turned out to be and close to 3 million customers were conned.

16. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Wow! Just wow! :eek:

One MLM that seems to hang in there over the years, and is even here in Japan, is Amway.

17. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

9 to 5 here with word of mouth from my superiors leading to tasks out of work itself.

It's a pain to report for my taxes though.

18. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

Pika, Pika, Pika.

Between your closing statement here, and your comment on the 'Post your purchases' thread, where you stated you were 'Rich enough to buy a Mac Pro', you don't come across well at all.
    The only plus here is that this probably wasn't written by yourself, rather skimmed from some self help ebook. Unless you really are that arrogant :(

19. Pika thread starter macrumors 68000

Pika

Because I've been running successful online businesses for many years, people always ask me how they can achieve a similar level of success. How can I build a high-traffic website? How can I make money online? What do I have to do to quit my day job? Will you mentor me?

These questions have always frustrated me.

The problem was that I couldn't readily teach people to do what I do, at least not the way I do it. I'm too old school. I've been using the Internet since 1989, and I built my first income-generating website in 1995. Most of the money I've earned in my life has come from my online businesses. But my approach has been virtually unteachable. Believe me -- I've tried. After delivering a few workshops on blogging, it became obvious to me that I couldn't teach this. I was overwhelming people with more info than they could handle. People got excited by the ideas, but they couldn't implement them. In truth there's just way too much hidden complexity in my approach.

Another frustrating element was watching people who were inspired by my OP. 99 out of 100 people won't be able to do this, but that didn't stop people from trying to duplicate (or surpass) my results anyway. Nearly all of them gave up within the first six months. We're talking hundreds of people that I know of. Starting a blog is dead simple these days. Creating a highly profitable, high-traffic website from scratch is very, very hard if you've never done it before.

A good example is: Chris Pirillo

20. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I glance at this and can't help but think, shouldn't Canada have some wonderful replacements to the old lithium-based pharmapsychotics?

21. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

You're not the only one.

22. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I actually have great respect for Amway. They will sell you an actual product and use MLM and downlines and it's legit.

It's when somebody uses that Amway or Fuller Brush model and sells real estate that doesn't exist, or insurance that never pays the policyholders is when you run into a purely criminal operation. The insurance company I applied for offered me $90K for nothing and that type of "free" money made me very suspicious. For years, they grew and caught the attention of the likes of Forbes, just the same as Enron or Madoff as very with it entities, but then the class action suit - $92 million buckaroos.

Criminal charges are next.

I am just glad I never joined that organization. I feel sorry for those who were high up in Enron's structure or Madoff's structure who didn't know what was going on was illegal. Sometimes illegality seems like splitting hairs but the Federal prisons that house white collar criminals are not hair splitters, they are a real incarceration and loss of freedom.

23. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

What you did that made you succeed is a very specific skill set that few people have. If it's a general skill set that is common with many, then you can start an Amway or similar operation. Again, I admire Amway from what I have said.

I know one person who does really well working from home because they invented many of the characters in popular computer games. Without spilling the beans on this Silicon Valley genius, some of this person's characters have later been made into Hollywood movies.

They do really well, however, very few people are in the business of coming up with these characters when X-Box, Nintendo, or similar company calls on you of a short list of maybe a dozen people in the world in Northern California or Japan.

It's also like being Barry Bonds and when asked, he say he just watches the ball, uses patience, and if just right, hits it. Sure, everybody can take that advice, but only a few people have the hand-eye coordination to make it happen. As much as I don't like the steroids thing, he does humbly admit he's nothing in baseball compared to A-Rod or Ichiro. I think why some people are pissed off on this thread, or not in line with what you are saying is that you may have a skill set that is simply not that common or easy to understand.

What you do making money is really just mediocre. What would make it extraordinary and noteworthy is if you can successfully teach a whole bunch of people to replicate your formula and do it with relative ease. Think Robbins, Orman, or Kiyosaki. Find a way to make your ideas understandable in plain English and work with a professional writer/editor to publish another formula for success. This is what would make you stand out from just another success story.

24. Lava Lamp Freak macrumors 65816

Everything Pika wrote come from Steve Pavlina's website.

The OP
    http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2006/07/10-reasons-you-should-never-get-a-job/

The reply
    http://www.stevepavlina.com/site-build-it/