Self Hosted File Sharing

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by philstone, Jul 26, 2012.

1. philstone macrumors 6502

I'm looking for a file sharing solution for a company that has been sending attachments.. Not looking at huge attachments usually up to 20mb but we need something that can be hosted in the office rather than a third party - ie Dropbox.

It needs to be easy for users to share and create a download link and password protected if necessary with minimum adminstration - does such a program exist?

cheers

2. philstone thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks - good call but not quite as user friendly as I'm looking for - they will have to work out the link to email to clients, rather than being able to right click and create public link etc.. Unless there is an FTP server/client that will do this?

3. macjolt macrumors member

4. robgendreau macrumors 68030

You probably want to host your own webdav server. Or host a CMS system.

But for lightweight sharing just go to Sharing in Prefs and set up a shared folder with the appropriate security. You'd then have to figure out a way to make the hosting Mac accessible from outside. Not necessarily trivial.

If it's the security of cloud hosting that makes you want to use your own, consider encryption. Probably easier than setting this up.

5. Kashsystems macrumors 6502

How good is your bandwidth's upload speed. Some people want to implement these kind of solutions but do not realize that their upload speed can be a greatly limiting factor. For example since you mention 20 megabyte files, if your upload speed is only one 1 mb, it will take about 3-4 mins at max upload speed for somebody at optimal conditions that do not exist. In most cases if somebody is maxing out your upload speed, they are going to slow your company's network to a crawl. You can build a nas server for these purposes also, but that will require additional hardware.

Cubby.com allows you to share files within network and also gives out free space like dropbox, but I do not know the performance of the service. Also do not know if it will do what you want. It is invite only but I have 5 invites available. Also need to state that it is a referral system like dropbox so I get free space for giving out an invite. It maybe a solution but as mention above you might want to look into your bandwidth considerations about this.