Self-Installation of Hardware

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NYY BoileruP, Apr 23, 2010.

1. NYY BoileruP macrumors newbie

There seem to be many threads on this board about users upgrading the hardware themselves instead of paying the "Apple tax" to have it done in China.

What does this do to the warranty that comes with the computer, am I then void if anything goes wrong?

Are there any downfalls to adding foreign hardware instead of the pre-installed Apple approved hardware? I can foresee something eventually going wrong between the two devices, as one of the selling points was that Apple makes the computer and the hardware and the software bringing the ultimate package.

2. CJS7070 macrumors 6502a

CJS7070

If it's considered a user-upgradable part by Apple, you can upgrade it, otherwise you will void your warranty.

3. NYY BoileruP thread starter macrumors newbie

So if I upgrade the ram and the HDD am I voiding the warranty?

Previously upgrades that I wanted but could not afford from Apple seem like options now. I really wanted 8 gb of ram and either a 500GB @ 7200 or a 256 SSD. I would love to do these myself and am somewhat capable but didn't think it would be a good idea to mess with a brand new product under warranty.

4. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

:D

People here do that ALL.THE.TIME.

You can probably do it. It may be awkward at first, but then you realize that it sort of takes alot to destroy a machine to unusability.

As far as components go, well that's up to you. Cost vs. Benefit basically. You can purchase your own RAM and HDD, but if something goes wrong, you'll have to deal with the RMA process yourself, which may or may not be quick and/or painless. Of course the benefit is if you can snag a good deal on hardware , or you can buy performance parts (an SSD for instance) of a higher calibur than apple offers.

If you buy through Apple, you can bring it to them if anything goes wrong, and you can extend the warranty of those items for three years if you purchase AppleCare. Apple stores and repair depots will have your particular component in stock (since there are few variants) and you shouldn't be out of comission for more than a day.

5. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

You can upgrade the RAM and hard disk. As long as you don't screw up you will be fine.

On a side note, hardware can't install itself.