self-repair iphone screen?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zilu01, Nov 25, 2007.

1. zilu01 macrumors newbie

Unlike any of the millions who were fortunate enough to cast their hands on the Iphone, I was one of billions who just "dreams" of owning one. Judging by my impression of my Macbook pro and Ipod video, I am sure iphone too has outstanding quality and functionality therefore I simply have to get one no matter what. As time passed, I become more eager to owning one but an idea struck in my head, why not cash out my cell phone and ipod for a second hand iphone? It sounded good until I discovered the need of additional $200. Depression pursued, but I was still determined. It all happened while puffing on a potent herb, that I discovered ifixit and their wicked guides. I could sell my Samsung Sync and 2nd gen Nano, then buy a cracked iphone and perform a DIY screen replacement and I would be owning a iphone! Having done DIY repairs on electrical component, I have no doubt of a successful result. Soon after, I purchased a cracked iphone (fully functional) for $180 shipped followed by replacement screen for $115 (tools included). My Sync and Nano got sold for $250 combined.

Now I sit anxiously waiting for my package. Has anyone like me done a DIY screen replacement? If yes, how did it go? Will I have to reapply the adhesive or will the old glue still hold?

2. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Whatever you do, stay off the 'potent herb' while you are performing this intricate operation! :eek:

3. SRSound macrumors 6502

Now THATS dedication - I'm very impressed. I do wonder, though, if you're working so hard to save a couple hundred on the device itself, is it the best decision to sign up for even the cheapest iphone plan?

4. zilu01 thread starter macrumors newbie

Signing a new contract for me is pointless because I already have ATT. It would much cheaper to just swap chips

5. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

hahah I agree. Or at least make sure you have a lot of munchies nearby when you're performing the operation...

It would be cool if you posted up some pictures of the whole process... really impressed with the dedication :) I hope everything works out for you, keep us updated.

- Sunny

6. jontucker macrumors 6502

I have an idea, instead of wasting time buggering around with replacing the screen in order to save a few quid you could get a job and have the money to buy a new one!

7. zilu01 thread starter macrumors newbie

It may sound like a waste of time to you, but I find it enjoyable. I've been around computers my whole life and I have personal satisfaction knowing I did something not everyone can do. Not only will I gain technical knowledge of the Iphone, I will also save not a few quids, but $500 and a 2 year contract (Hoping my existing ATT Sim will work as I have mixed answers on this issue but I can always resort to unlock).

8. rablat macrumors 6502a

rablat

And we know he doesn't have a job how?

That was a ridiculous and uncalled for statement.

Perhaps he does have a job and works very hard to save the money he does make for something as unnecessary as an iPhone.

9. jontucker macrumors 6502

10. snook911 macrumors 6502a

Nice idea but not sure where you come up with you saved $500. It cost you $285 for the parts and the cracked iphone. I have seen refurbed iphones on apple.com for $349 thats only $65. Even brand new its only $399 or a savings of about $115. By the way your existing AT&T Sim wont work in the iphone. If you want to keep the plan your on you will have to unlock it. Good Luck.

11. zilu01 thread starter macrumors newbie

**Update** I have received my phone and it works perfect. I activated it using my sim and adding the $20 data service. I have updated it to 1.1.2 (maybe not smart idea). Rumor has it that you can deactivate the data plan but this Edge is pretty nifty :D I will post some pictures soon

12. ToltinBy macrumors newbie

replacement screen?

Can't wait to see pix. Where did you get a replacement screen for $115? And, why are people so nasty? It's a TOY, fer gosh sakes. Lighten up!

13. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

14. sk8mash macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

Last post November 27. Do you really think he is still planning on posting a pic?

15. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

$350.00

16. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Ahh, I see.

17. kleo macrumors regular

lol honestly you got ripped off for all the work and time your putting into this. Refurb phones are your friend. Heck just get a 4GB one for cheap in full working order. :confused:

Have fun replacing that screen without bending/damaging any of those case components lol :rolleyes:

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Thanks for bringing up a 2 year old thread Christina. :)

19. cal45 macrumors newbie

LOL! You paid $115 just for the parts for a replacement screen? I only paid $60 like 2 months ago to get my 3G repaired from www.coloradoiphone.com

That included them driving out to repair it for me hah. You got screwed.

*edit* Whoops, just saw the date. Sorry, found it on a Google search. No wonder you paid so much! That was like 3 years ago.

20. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Dude, look at the date of the first post k.