Self repair of back shell - am I simply doomed?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by uberamd, Jun 2, 2009.

1. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

I got my current iPhone 3G in January of 2009. I am eligible for a 2 year upgrade somehow so I will probably get the new one when it is released and sell my current one. I have been using a Griffin case for my 3G since January, and when I finally took it off I discovered a bunch of mini gouges on the outer surface of the back of it, and along the volume control area. What the heck, the case did more damage than not having one at all. Argh. Resale value plummets. Or does it?

See I have this masterful plan to replace the backing myself with a new iPhone back cover, thus restoring its original luster. But am I screwed? I looked at the iFixit guide, and there are about 50,000,000 screws to take out and the guide is around a billion steps in length. Has anyone done this fix themselves? I would rather kill the device trying to fix it than see it in its current scratched state, but I am curious on any experience you guys and gals may have with replacing the back shell.

2. kAoTiX macrumors 6502

kAoTiX

I would wait until you actually have the new model incase you do destroy yours.
    A slight exageration on the way to open it, it's not that complicated. As long as you are careful and take your time there shouldn't be any issues.

Just follow the guide fully.