Self Storage?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by thegoldenmackid, Mar 28, 2010.

1. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Hello MacRumors,

Second semester of college is winding down. As economical and logical as hauling back winter coats to Dallas so I can use them from May to August sounds, I think I will pass. There is also some other stuff (printer, computer speakers, pillows) that I don't need over the summer, but do enjoy having during the school year. There is actually quite a bit of stuff. I will be renting a self-storage unit for the four months (May-August) and assume that some of you may have some experience and would just like any thoughts or tips.

I will likely get 20-25 square feet, but definitely climate controlled (cannot let the Swan M10s go bad because of heat...)

Any tips, horror stories, suggestions or recommendations for the Winston-Salem area will be greatly appreciated. Also any experience with the larger chains. I know that U-Haul is franchised base, I know that Public Storage exists, but other then that...I'm clueless.

Thanks,

thegoldenmackid

2. puma1552 macrumors 601

I've been storing a car at a 10x20 Public Storage facility for 1.5 years here. I bought my own lock that they installed for me, and created my own gate access pin. Full cameras. My unit is not climate controlled, and runs $151 a month. Climate controlled would've run $200 a month. I pay my bill online, easy peasy. No contracts, just month to month.

No complaints, overall quite happy.

3. thegoldenmackid thread starter macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

This own lock vs. their lock? I'm confused. Definitely look at Public Storage, online bill pay would be nice.

4. citizenzen macrumors 65816

So for the last 18 months you've paid $2,718 for a place to park your car?

It must be nice to be rich.

You can throw away money... and it's no big deal. :)

5. puma1552 macrumors 601

They make you buy your own new lock when you rent one, and you are the sole key holder.

It's called a summer car that appreciates in value, not a daily driver crap box. Not every Apple user is a tree-hugging hippie who drives a Prius. Try getting a clue.

6. thegoldenmackid thread starter macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

7. puma1552 macrumors 601

No problem, I would recommend checking out a few of their facilities; when I got mine I went to two different ones in the same city, and one seemed way less secure than the other one, which was brand new (the brand new secure one is where mine is).

They also have indoor storage where you have to get inside the main facility, and then inside another garage door to get to the inside facility. More expensive, but an extra layer of security.

Also I can't recall off hand if they offer insurance--at least for vehicles I don't *think* they do, but I think they require it to be insured through my auto insurance company (which it is). I think for non-vehicles the policy may be different.

8. citizenzen macrumors 65816

A summer car... not a daily driver crap box?

Looks like someone's lost touch with the common folk. ;)

9. puma1552 macrumors 601

If you mean the common starving-artist Apple user who sips their Starbuck's latte while pretending to be important before hopping into their green Prius, then no, I was never in touch to begin with.

Was your calculation or original comment necessary to begin with? Some of use have hobbies, those hobbies include cars.

Not to mention, that car is one solid reminder of my mom and everything she did for me before she died, so it carries pretty tremendous sentimental value, so why don't you just step off?

10. thegoldenmackid thread starter macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Thanks for all your help puma. I plan on calling around and seeing. I take it break-in's aren't that common.

I realize this is the Community Discussion forum, but please keep the personal shots out of here.

Thanks.

11. puma1552 macrumors 601

Yeah I'm not sure how often break-ins happen--I think more than that you have to worry about other people there at the same time as you a few garages down from you seeing what you are storing (particularly when it's a car, but anything expensive really).

Good luck!

Also--the first month only costs $1 as part of a promotion, and a quick search (for Minneapolis) is showing $45/mo for a 5x5 climate controlled indoor unit, which isn't bad at all.

12. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'm just envious.

Work hard... don't even drive a daily crap box (actually take the bus)... but that's as much a statement about global warming as anything.

So sure... I'll step off.

You might want to see someone about that anger issue though.

You seem a little touchy.

13. puma1552 macrumors 601

Well, when someone comes in and makes all sorts of calculations, accuses me of being rich (I teach English in Japan FFS), and then says I've "lost touch with the common folk", of course I'm going to wonder what you're getting at, and what your angle is.

Next time you want to be envious, be a little more tactful about it.

Sorry for the deviance, moving along back on track now.