self update

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by jagatnibas, Aug 12, 2008.

1. jagatnibas macrumors regular

I am trying to explore how a selfupdate can be implemented in iphone application. I need my application to know if a new version of application is available in the server, and ask user, if user chhoses yes, new application will be installed and old application will be deleted

thanks and regards
    Jagat

2. admanimal macrumors 68040

You could update data files this way, but there is no way to update the code itself in this manner, since applications do not have write access to their own bundles.

3. johnnybluejeans macrumors 6502

4. jagatnibas thread starter macrumors regular

network pushed ?

Then how would any commercial product provide their customers the new versions ? Assume, I am running x 4.0. if x 5.0 is released, it would be published in carrier network. Then iphone will be notified natively and will be downloaded and installed [we, as programmers/publishers wont have to do anything except releasing product x 5.0 in the atnt network !]. please correct me if i am wrong.

again another question, can the user keep both versions if he wants ?

regards
    Jagat

5. admanimal macrumors 68040

New versions are provided the same way the original ones are: through iTunes. All of the notifications are handled automatically. Users can only have one version at a time, and there is no way to downgrade to an earlier version once you have upgraded.