self upgrade 128GB -> 512GB SSD?

revheck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
Since apple charges a premium for the larger SSD's, has anyone here done or planning to upgrade to a larger SSD themselves?

Any cons to this plan?

FuNGi

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2010
California
13"
128GB SSD is $1,199 from Apple + $750 for 480 GB SSD from OWC
= $1949

256GB SSD is $1,499 from Apple + $500 upgrade from Apple
= $1999

So, actually pretty equivocal (assuming you don't want processor upgrade) and you'd end up with a extra 128GB blade drive going with the base model. (OWC has external drives to use these in.)

revheck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
Aren't there cheaper 512 SSD's for Air than the one from OWC?

When I was looking to upgrade a MBP, I've seen 512GB crucial M4 for $400...but maybe that's just for the MBP.

revheck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
Wow. OK, there obviously is a difference. But is OWC really the only choice?

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
I wonder if the new MBA uses two 256GB Blade SSDs.
If so, then it may be possible to add another it you dont get the 512GB version.

----------

Haven't bought one yet. Still trying to decide between maxed-out Air and MBP.
Problem for me...the retina MBP (what I would want) is TOOOOOOOO expensive.

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
If so, then it may be possible to add another it you dont get the 512GB version.
There's one slot for the SSD in an MBA 2011. I assume the 2012 models are the same.

dgnr8

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2010
I am stuck in the same boat, what I was thinking is to get the 256gb and keep one of these in the sd card slot at all times for things like videos:

SanDisk Extreme 128GB Secure Digital Extended Capacity (SDXC) Flash Card Model SDSDRX3-128G-A21

You can get one for about $150

Are there any veteran Macbook air users who have tried this?

Liquidsilver

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2009
I am stuck in the same boat, what I was thinking is to get the 256gb and keep one of these in the sd card slot at all times for things like videos:

SanDisk Extreme 128GB Secure Digital Extended Capacity (SDXC) Flash Card Model SDSDRX3-128G-A21

You can get one for about $150

Are there any veteran Macbook air users who have tried this?
You just have to keep in mind the SD card does NOT sit flush with the side of the MBA. It sticks out a bit so depending on your intended usage it may not be the best option.

ChanneledDan

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2012
B&H also has a 128GB Lexar SD card for only $90, free shipping and no tax.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...128CRBNA133_128GB_Professional_SDXC_Card.html

Granted it's only a class 10, while that SanDisk is class 10 + UHS-1.
I just ordered one of those Lexar ones for my camera, which isn't UHS-1 compliant so it wouldn't make a difference. I'm also going to try it out with my new MBA when it arrives and see how it works. I'm pretty sure the MBA doesn't support UHS-1 so I don't think you would get the speed advantage.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Evidently not. And Apple has changed the connector, so at this point there are not even any third party options. See this article on the MacRumors front page: https://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/12/teardown-of-mid-2012-macbook-air-reveals-tweaked-ssd-connector/

Other World Computing has also noted this difference and indicated that they are working "full steam ahead" on launching new Aura Pro Express SSDs compatible with the 2012 MacBook Air.

mckiram

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2014
I ordered a Sandisk 128GB Extreme SD Card Memory Card for $140 last month (Feb 2014) to double the internal 128GB drive. It does stick out a bit and I'm worried about dropping my laptop on it, but those things are pretty sturdy. I have an external 500GB drive that I connect at night with Time Machine in case there's ever a problem. I've moved my VMWare drive, music, and photos to the SD Card. The SanDisk card gets about 40MB/s read/write speed which is significantly slower than the internal drive. It's not noticable except for when I suspend and resume my Win7 VMWare. For music and photos, it's fast enough. Make sure you get a fast SD Card though if you want something more than just photos and music on the drive.

Once the 256GB SD Cards (e.g. from Lexar) get to the sub-$200 range, it'd be a better option.

You just have to keep in mind the SD card does NOT sit flush with the side of the MBA. It sticks out a bit so depending on your intended usage it may not be the best option.

Attachments

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I ordered a Sandisk 128GB Extreme SD Card Memory Card for $140 last month (Feb 2014) to double the internal 128GB drive. It does stick out a bit and I'm worried about dropping my laptop on it, but those things are pretty sturdy. I have an external 500GB drive that I connect at night with Time Machine in case there's ever a problem. I've moved my VMWare drive, music, and photos to the SD Card. The SanDisk card gets about 40MB/s read/write speed which is significantly slower than the internal drive. It's not noticable except for when I suspend and resume my Win7 VMWare. For music and photos, it's fast enough. Make sure you get a fast SD Card though if you want something more than just photos and music on the drive.

Once the 256GB SD Cards (e.g. from Lexar) get to the sub-$200 range, it'd be a better option.
Thanks, but I would hope the OP has made a decision by now.

camdog

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2015
Des Moines, IA

You can buy a flush mount SD card for additional storage. I use the JetDrive, 128gb and it's about $75 on Amazon.

Attachments

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.