Self upgrade iMac late 2013 without void warranty?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bigagassi, Dec 27, 2015.

1. bigagassi macrumors newbie

I have an iMac 21 late 2013 with AppleCare. Now I want to replace its HDD to SSD. Do you think Apple will void warranty if I am doing that? I will put original HDD back if iMac need to be service at Apple.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yes, it will void the warranty and apple may very notice your handy work, since the iMac is virtually sealed and requires the re-sealing (using double sided tape).

That doesn't mean you shouldn't do the work, provided you're fairly comfortable in taking computers apart. Take a look at what's required at iFixit

3. macthefork, Dec 28, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2015

macthefork macrumors 6502

No, you don't void the warranty unless you damage something. Then whatever is damaged won't be covered. Many on here seem to think that simply opening the iMac voids the warranty. However, the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act, in the United States allows a person to replace any parts that will perform the same purpose such as a replacement SSD in place of the HDD. Here's a pertinant excerpt from the act: "...Warrantors cannot require that only branded parts be used with the product in order to retain the warranty.[7] This is commonly referred to as the "tie-in sales" provisions,[8] and is frequently mentioned in the context of third-party computer parts, such as memory and hard drives..."

Again, if you damage the computer, the damage will not be covered. But, simply opening and installing a SSD will not, in itself, void the warranty. I've had Apple replace a video card in an iMac that I had installed a SSD in, (behind the ODD) and all they did was comment that it was a "nice job."

In your case, I believe the repair kit that includes tape can be had at iFixit for around $20.00 USD.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Technically you're correct, realistically however given the sealed nature of the computer. If apple notices the computer was opened up and there's anything that goes wrong to the logic board they'll just point to the fact that it was worked on by a non-authorized representative.

5. macthefork macrumors 6502

Of course they could do that, or claim that the SSD somehow caused another failure. More likely, from what I've seen, is that someone that's not careful can rip a video connector off the Logic board, or something like that. We've all seen the pictures of this situation on this site.

It is safer to simply use a Thunderbolt case with a SSD in it, and boot off that. (or even a USB 3 case with SSD). I've run a few iMacs that way for a while, too. Very reliable, fast, and no tearing into the computer. I used a small rubber bungee cord to attach the case to the back of the stand on those.

As I've mentioned, a failed video card was replaced under warranty in an obviously upgraded iMac and they didn't blame the opening of the iMac on it's failure. Although, the video card issue was a known failure point at the time.