Self-Upgraded RAM; still use apple care?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jrv, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Jrv macrumors regular

A few months back, I upgraded my 4 gigs of ram to the 8 gig kit in my signature via newegg. If I start running into problems and I need to take my laptop to the Apple Store to get it fixed (I purchased 3 years of applecare), do I have to swap out the RAM (I kept the previous chips), or can I just give it to them with my own RAM already in there?

2. simsaladimbamba

You can, but if the MBP has to be sent away, you might get back an MBP with the original amount of RAM, thus it is better to give the MBP to Apple with the original RAM and if you upgrade the HDD to a bigger/faster HDD or SSD, replace that with the original too (or an HDD you can lose).

3. IC3D macrumors regular

IC3D

Whatever the original amount of ram is, and original chips, place in the memory slots. Then bring it in. Don't tell them you upgraded anything.

4. simsaladimbamba

Why? RAM is user replaceable? And if the error still occurs with the old RAM, then the RAM is hardly at fault. Or do you think, that Apple will try to suggest, during upgrading the RAM the owner might have damaged something?

5. Takashi macrumors regular

Well, if apple is picky, they can blame it on the ram installation since you (the owner) is not a certified technician. Even though RAM in a MBP is user replaceable, apple still suggest that it should be "professionally installed". Being said, lots of things can happen during RAM installation if it is not done properly (e.g.: Did you unplug the machine installation? Did you shut it down the macbook properly before removing the cover? Did you unplug the battery before you install RAM? Did you ground yourself (anti-static wrist band / ma) before you touch any components include your new RAM?).

Like someone said already, I would bring the machine to stock configuration before I send it in for repairs. If the new part is causing issues, the user would have most likely caught it the minute it was installed. If everything works. then you are all good.

6. Jrv thread starter macrumors regular

I did all of those things and more. Nothing a "trained technician" is going to do that I can't do. I build computers in my sleep, I think I can handle a ram installation in a macbook.

7. Takashi macrumors regular

Well, sorry for misjudging you in the first place.

Nevertheless, if all precautions are taken, then why should you worry?

8. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

they print the instructions in the book they give you, wouldnt they say dont remove the bottom cover if that was the case?

to the OP I highly doubt it will void your applecare but if they decide that they need to replace the machine you might loose the RAM and Harddrive upgrades you made