seling 4 yo macbook pro. What should I get???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by benalexe, Apr 26, 2010.

1. benalexe macrumors member

I have a 15" 4 year old macbook pro with 2.15 processor. I was thinking that there is still some real value here. This machine is currently my main machine and i have it hooked up to a separate monitor and keyboard.

So here is the questions:

If I get a 13" MBP. Will I see a big performance increase over the 4 year old 2.16 or will it be marginal? Is it considered a downgrade from my 15" on an upgrade?

I travel about 2 times a month with work and I carry my 15" which gets heavy.

My next question is would you get a mac mini and an IPAD for travel or get the 13" MBP.

Although the current 15" is nice it is heavy to carry and the real reason I want to sell is the battery keeps dying on me. I have replaced it a few times and it maybe last 6 months. Also the battery time sucks. I see the new ones can get up to 10 hrs on a charge.

2. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

I had a 15" 2.16GHz Cure 2 Duo MBP as well.

You'll see a pretty decent improvement moving to a 13", the C2D in your MBP is a very old revision.

3. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

i dont think the ipad would be sufficient enough for your needs when you travel, unless you get the docking/keyboard/3g network. with that, i would rather get the low-end 13" mbp which does everything the mac mini would.

4. benalexe thread starter macrumors member

One question... on my exhisting macbook I could pop in a 3g card in the slot. I do not see one of those slots on the new MBP how would I connect to a 3g connection?

5. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Yeah, they did away with the Expresscard slot on the MBP. Only way to use a 3G card now is to sell that expresscard and get a USB version (or a MiFi, which is a separate device that uses 3G to make a mobile WiFi hotspot).

A couple years back I too wanted to get an expresscard 3G card for my 2006 MBP 15", but AT&T was out of stock, and I "settled" for USB. Now, I'm glad I "settled."

6. SamTheeGeek macrumors 6502

SamTheeGeek

Go For the new 13" macbook pro , its really worth it !

and ofcourse you will notice a whole lotta difference between your old mac and the new macbook pro :).

Good Luck !