Seling old MBP to buy new?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kingshrubb, Oct 15, 2008.

1. kingshrubb macrumors regular

kingshrubb

Is it worth doing? How much money would I lose if i sold my old Penryn MacBook Pro 15", 2.6 Ghz, 4GB RAM, 200 GB HD, for the new MacBook Pro? Will I be able to take my MobileMe and AppleCare and everything off this computer and transfer it over to my new one with ease? How do I go about doing this? Thanks :)

2. kingshrubb thread starter macrumors regular

kingshrubb

Help :(

Will I be able to transfer my MobileMe and AppleCare over to my new Macbook Pro if I switch?

3. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

Yes, Mobile Me is your account with Apple and really has nothing to do with the notebook. Applecare can be transferred to the new notebook by calling Apple and having them switch it. You will probably get more money if Applecare stayed with the current MBP as it will probably add more value to it.

p.s. If you are in that big of a hurry, calling Applecare and asking these questions who have taken only a few minutes.

4. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

AppleCare stays with the machine, it will not transfer. MobileMe will transfer fine, it is not bound to a computer.

And please don't bump threads.

Edit: bobioden is incorrect. You CANNOT transfer AppleCare between machines. Once it is registered, it is bound to that machine. If you want AppleCare for your new MBP, you will have to purchase it.

5. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

Sorry, was confused on the Applecare. I forgot that when I switched mine it was on a MBP that was replaced by Apple, so was able to do it.

6. motoxpress macrumors 6502

Why would you want to upgrade? The new one is not that much different than the one you own. Only in the aesthetics.

-mx

7. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

i would not sell your current mbp. You are not going to gain anything spec-wise. You'll lose a firewire 400 port. The main difference is the look. I've bought and sold many a laptop when new ones come out and I don't think it's worth it at this point. You will always end up losing more money than you thought, through shipments, fees (if ebay is the way you are going), etc.

The upgrades aren't big enough...Unless, of course, you really love the new look

8. kingshrubb thread starter macrumors regular

kingshrubb

Okay, thanks. You've convinced me to stick with my current. I do really like the look of the new MBP though--even though others on this forum are not as thrilled :p