Sell 1 TB Hard Drive as a blank or with Yosemite

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Sossity, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Sossity macrumors 65816

I have a 1 TB Western digital 3.5 inch hard drive that I pulled out of a Mac Pro computer. It was the main boot drive and i think it had OS X Yosemite on it.

Since I replaced this with an SSD boot drive, I have no longer needed the Western digital drive.

I thought of erasing it in disk utility and making it a fresh blank drive to sell on eBay, but then I thought should I leave the OS X Yosemite on it? and sell it as a boot drive?

and if I wanted that OS, could I copy it onto a thumb drive to install on another mac? before I sell it?

2. kohlson macrumors 68000

Have you considered you may have personal information on this drive? I would erase it.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I'm with @kohlson ... I would erase it.

I think anybody who would but it can figure out how to get the OS on there if they need it.

4. Sossity thread starter macrumors 65816

ok, sounds like a vote to erase it, right now, it is generic, it does not have any of my personal info, it is as it was setup for a new person when I bought the computer.

If I copied the content from the drive before I erase to sell, onto a thumb drive, would it then be a bootable copy of OS X Yosemite that I could install on any mac?

5. jaybar macrumors 6502a

jaybar

It may be a violation of licensing to sell with OS. Check out EULA terms.

6. Sossity thread starter macrumors 65816

Ooh, did not think of that, thanks, looks like it is a vote to erase and sell as a blank hard drive.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes... if it is bootable now and you clone it to a thumb drive, that drive would also be bootable.