sell 17" MBP before apple event?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by The Final Cut, Oct 14, 2010.

  1. The Final Cut macrumors 6502

    Sep 5, 2009
    I am thinking about selling my current gen 17" MBP. I really like it an all (mainly the screen) , its just that I think I want something cheaper/smaller + external monitor or an imac. Then I could keep the remaining money from this sale... With this one I am constantly worried about damage, theft, and its annoying to carry around etc... I don't really need this power. The most I do is light final cut express work, watching HD movies, etc. Besides, I am not that impressed with the speed of it anyway in my daily real world use... so as might as well sell it?
  2. Hellhammer Moderator


    Staff Member

    Dec 10, 2008
    I would wait and decide after the event because then we will know what's available.
  3. David G. macrumors 65816

    Apr 10, 2007
    It seems like you'r not altogether pleased with what you have now anyway. New computers be my estimation will probably come out with the event and if they do savvy used computer buyers will want to pay less for yours should you sell it later compared to what they will now.
    My recommendation for you is to sell it now provided you get a decent price for it and buy a smaller mbp (maybe even refurb?) and the screen you want or an imac with built in aforementioned screen. I don't see how you can lose really.
  4. EzhnoWolf macrumors member

    Jul 12, 2010
    Vancouver, Canada
    I was thinking the same thing but I need my computer for uni....

    Haha don't know what I would do if I didn't have this to work away with at home :D
  5. Jenko macrumors regular

    Jun 17, 2009
    I would wait until the event. I do not believe there will be a major update to many of the mac range. Maybe the mac book air or mac book. But all other macs have had upgrades this year. There was talk a few months back of an upgrade to the intel i7 chip but it was only a small jump in speed if any. I think the event will be talking about upgrades to the OSX maybe iLife and iWork. Most other areas might be discussed as changes to come in 2011.
  6. MacMau5 macrumors member

    Oct 15, 2010
    i sold my mbp 13 320m yesterday on craigslist, for the price apple sells refurbs, just in case they drop a magical 11-12" netbook so i can pick it up instead.

    I've went from 17" (p7805u) to 15.6" (asus ux50v) to 13.3". im finding it more enjoyable to carry a smaller notebook in my bookbag and around the house.

    Personally, i would pick up a mac mini + external monitor (use for hdtv, 1080p, ps3, mac). The iMac with i3 is overpriced IMO.

Share This Page