Sell 1st Gen 15" MacBook Pro for 13"?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Epsilon88, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Epsilon88 macrumors 6502

Hi,

I currently have a beautiful 15" matte MacBook Pro purchased in September 2007 (i.e. non-unibody). Anyway, it's a great computer in perfect condition but I find it a nuisance to haul around campus. It's quite heavy at 5.5 pounds, whereas the 13" sheds a pound and ends up at 4.5. Would you recommended that I sell it for around $950 and purchase a 13" MacBook Pro to replace it? I'm thinking that it would be much more portable. But would it be a big step down in terms of screen quality and the general computing experience?

Thanks!

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Not at all. I think you'll find the 13" MBP to be very capable. What kind of things do you do on your notebook now?

I went from a 15" PB to a 13" MB (unibody) then to a MBAir and I will probably never buy a notebook again over 13".

3. Epsilon88 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey Jessica, it's mainly working with Microsoft Office, email, photos, and doing work on the Internet. No games, graphics, or other heavy applications.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Oh gosh, that 15" is too large and really the 13" will be awesome for you. Photoshop CS3 (I did not have CS 4 at the time) ran very well, Aperture ran, etc. These are pro apps so your needs would be met with that 13" machine. I'd even say go with the slowest processor and add ram and perhaps an SSD aftermarket. You're going to love the 13".

5. chadamorrill macrumors 6502

PM me with a price for your 15". // Sorry if this is against the rules, moderators!

6. ryanvalle macrumors member

I would recommend you sell it and get the 13" but best of luck trying ot find a buyer for $950. I tried to sell mine for $750, no offers at that. On average, I got offers for my first gen 15"MBP 2.0ghz for $500. I found a buyer at $600 and took it right away.

7. MacKiddyWiddy macrumors 6502

the 13 will be great [​IMG] i say take the plunge and do it