Sell 1st Gen iPad and pick up Kindle Fire

bern1812

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 1, 2008
My iPad has been seeing much less use lately as I have been doing most of my browsing on my iPhone since my favorite sites are all on mobile now. I have been considering selling my first gen iPad and using that money to pick up a Kindle Fire (probably a refurb) to play around with. I plan on getting the new iPad, but the funds needed for that wont be available until the summer.

Ive never spent much time with Android, so that would be my main purpose for getting the Fire so I could play around with Android and probably root it to Cyangenmod 7 and maybe develop an Android app or two just to see how the SDK is.

Has anyone here had any experience with the Kindle Fire in comparison to the first gen iPad? Especially in web browsing, where I find the iPads lack of RAM to be a real detriment?

arctier

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2010
I use my Fire more than my 1st gen iPad for web browsing (the browser feels snappier, less laggy) and general reading (higher pixel density and a much lighter device). Beyond that, I would not recommend the exchange.

xTRIGGER092x

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2011
I've never used a Kindle Fire (though I sure do love my Kindle Touch), but I've read speed tests that state that the Fire's web browser loads pages slower than the iPad 1st-gen. I've also read that on default settings, the web browser is just terrible in general.

Last edited:

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I've never used a Kindle Fire (though I sure do love my Kindle Touch), but I've read speed tests that state that the Fire's web browser loads pages slower than the iPad. I've also read that on default settings, the web browser is just terrible in general.
I found it too cumbersome to use, and returned it a couple weeks after I got it. I really wanted to like it, too.

Some people seem perfectly happy with it, but I found the browser more difficult than an iPhone 3GS let alone a first gen iPad.

balamw

Staff member
Aug 16, 2005
New England
I've never used a Kindle Fire (though I sure do love my Kindle Touch), but I've read speed tests that state that the Fire's web browser loads pages slower than the iPad. I've also read that on default settings, the web browser is just terrible in general.
This is my experience. I have both the iPad 1 and KF. I had to sideload Firefox this weekend 'cause Silk was giving me stale data and taking forever to load it.

I have not run into anything like this with my iPad.

Personally, I prefer the iPad 1 for most everything except reading in bed.

B

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
Not loving the Kindle. Unless you really prefer the smaller format I find teh iPad to be superior in most respects.