Sell 1st gen iPhone and wait for 3G iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by enklined, May 6, 2008.

1. enklined macrumors 6502

Hey guys,

I was thinking about selling my iPhone - 8gb...I can get $300 for it.

However, will AT&T let me take advantage of the $200 subsidy and sign a new 2 year contract, even though I just signed a two year contact on iPhone release day?

If so, I'd be pocketing $100, basically (although I paid $600 for the original phone, obviously), and getting a new 3G iPhone.

Insert your $.02 here, please.

2. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

$200 subsidy? That is only a rumor at this point. Don't gamble hundreds of dollars on the current rumors, wait for solid facts from AT&T or Apple.

3. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

I say do it whether or not the subsidy exists. If you wait to sell your first gen when the new iPhone comes out--tons of people will be selling it around then, and you definitely won't be getting 300 for it.

4. enklined thread starter macrumors 6502

Yea I was thinking that...even if the $200 subidy doesn't pan out, I'd be upgrading to a new phone with new features for $100... (the 3g iPhone is suppose to remain at $400 right?)

5. DreamPod macrumors 65816

The theory is only new customers would be able to get the subsidy - that's why AT&T would be doing it, to gain new customers.

It's a tricky question, because if you are going to sell it, now's the time to do it, before a better iPhone is announced. But what if everybody's wrong, and the 3G iPhone is only *announced* next month, for a winter release or something? Or if the US doesn't get a 3G iPhone at all this year, despite the rumors?

6. enklined thread starter macrumors 6502

I have little doubt that the 3g iPhone is coming in June - especially give the "no vacation" announcement for at&t employees to be sure there is enough service for an "exciting Summer Promotional Launch."

Either way, I think I'm OK paying an extra $100 for a new phone/3g/gps/possible video conference camera.

In the past, AT&T let me sign new 2 year contacts to take advantage of phone deals, so I'm hoping since it's been a year, they'll let me re-sign. If not, I guess I'll be using my w810i for as long as I need to get that $200 off (Maybe...) :p

7. RUFiO795 macrumors member

I just sold my used 8GB iPhone today on eBay for $400 - it was in very good condition and shipped with a few cases and a screen protector, so I felt pretty good about getting back exactly what I paid originally (although I lost a little money on the cases, obviously).

If you put some work into making a good ad, your phone is in good shape, and you have all of the originally included components, you can get more than $300 for your iPhone. I sold mine so that I could maximize returns before 2.0 is announced in a matter of weeks. If it turns out my gamble was way off and they aren't going to release the new version until December 2010, I'll just buy another iPhone with my $400.

8. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

+1, got 400 out of mine on eBay a month back. Shipped in great condition. I say sell now if you want your money back.

9. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

AT&T will allow you to sign a new contract without penalty, but there will likely be an activation fee of some sort, although it's good for us who get an Apple and AT&T discount that eliminates activation fee's.

10. enklined thread starter macrumors 6502

How the hell do you get $400 for a USED iPhone...that doesn't even make sense to me, when a new one is $400...

Is it because its been activated, and those buying it are seeking a phone without having to sign a 2year contract?

****, I'm suppose to meet the guy at 530...I don't wanna hose myself if I can get another $100. Just seems odd that people would buy it for $400, used...The only reason i can think of is because it's been activated already...

Damn it...what to do, what to do...

11. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

I'm not too worried about the market price dropping drastically once a 3G model is released.
    8 GB iPod Touches are still worth over $200. This has a phone and EDGE, making it worth even more.

12. erstwo macrumors newbie

Please help...

Why would I want to buy a 3g phone when there is an 8gb phone on the market right now? Are "g" and "gb" the same thing??

Please forgive my ignorance - I'm just a soccer mom! I've considered an iphone for a while now and stumbled upon this site.

I know I'm missing something here..........

13. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

When 3G is mentioned they are talking about the current generation of mobile phone voice / data networks. The current iPhone does not employ 3G technology, it uses slightly older stuff. 3G means faster data and simultaneous voice as well. The next iPhone is expected to be 3G capable. You will get a plethora of information if you do a quick google or wikipedia search.

14. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

"g" and "gb" are not the same thing. gb = gigabytes, a unit of size. For storing mp3s and such.

"3g" is an abbreviation for "3rd Generation" cellular internet technology.
    The iPhone, when you're not near a WiFi router, currently uses the AT&T EDGE service to access the Internet. It's pretty slow, close to dial-up speeds for loading. The 3G network runs at closer to broadband speeds.

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think it's sort of like the eBay phenomenon... there are always a few people out there who are stupid, gullible, or otherwise willing to pay too much for something.

The fact that you activated it doesn't make any difference to the next user -- they have to activate it on their own account, and so they still incur the 2 year contract if they select an AT&T iPhone plan.

If it's unlocked, then they can use it without a contract on any GSM/EDGE carrier that will let them do so. So as far as I know, most of the unreasonable prices are for unlocked iPhones, presumably for people for whom the calculus says that they'd rather pay you a premium to take the risk of breaking the phone during unlocking and rendering it worthless, than take the risk on themselves.

16. wirelessbob macrumors newbie

I only use unlocked phones then if my provider stops providing....... see ya (and they will try a little harder to cut you a deal if your not under a contract):cool:

17. amemoryoncelost macrumors 6502

I have a 4GB model, have been having a few issues with it. I'm thinking about taking mine in to apple and get it replaced or fixed, then turn around and sell on ebay and wait to see what happens. Sure, I might end up having to buy another phone, but I think it's pretty obvious.

18. erstwo macrumors newbie

Thank you

Thank you both, very much!

I did try a Google search. I guess I entered the wrong info.