Sell 2.4 unibody for 13" 2.53 Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by adamvk, Jun 8, 2009.

  1. adamvk macrumors 65816

    adamvk

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2008
    Location:
    Phoenix, AZ
    #1
    I'm considering selling my 2.4GHZ 2GB DDR3 Macbook Pro for a 2.53GHZ, 4GB DDR3, 500GB Macbook.

    I know the graphics would be worse, but would the faster CPU and more ram help a good amount? I do a lot of CAD and such but I'm wondering if the extra ram and CPU power would counter-balance the graphics power on my unibody Macbook Pro?

    I really really like the new 7 hour battery life and the smaller size would be nice.

    What do you think?

    Thanks a lot.
     
  2. Hellhammer Moderator

    Hellhammer

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    Finland
    #2
    No reason to do that. Just add more RAM to your current machine. .13GHz isn't noticeable.
     
  3. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

    adamvk

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2008
    Location:
    Phoenix, AZ
    #3
    Ya I know, but the extra battery/SD slot/Smaller size/bigger HD still seems like it may be worth it. I could probably break even or even make a small profit on this.
     
  4. dvin macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2009
    #4
    i agree. not worth the hassle IMHO. the machine you have is a beast.
     
  5. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

    adamvk

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2008
    Location:
    Phoenix, AZ
    #5
    Ya, but.....

     
  6. dvin macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2009
    #6
    are you talking about going to the 13" (smaller). i would think that would be a bit small for CAD work. that's the reason i bought the 15". those other features would be nice (especially the SD slot IMO). i guess you should just weigh your preferences, it may make sense for you to go ahead and switch it out.
     
  7. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2009
    Location:
    Bronx,Ny
    #7
    Go for it , I cant wait to buy the new 15in macbook pro :D
     
  8. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

    adamvk

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2008
    Location:
    Phoenix, AZ
    #8
    Well I don't really use Cad on the Go, I'm buying external monitor(s) this summer anyways for more Real Estate. I do REALLY like the SD slot, but I was originally talking about the 13" Macbook Pro, but the 15" Macbook Pro is really cheap now too so maybe I could get one of those instead.

    Aww why can't I have more money to buy them all? :( :)))
     
  9. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2009
    Location:
    Bronx,Ny
    #9
    Get the 15 in is not soo much expensive as the 13in a day ago :D
     
  10. JCastro macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2008
    #10
    I don't know if you will come out ahead. The prices of the older model are dropping. There are several threads about this.

    For about $150 you could upgrade the RAM and put in a 500GB HDD. the machine that you have is very capable. If you just want the newest thing or you just want a 13" MBP then go for it. But do it for those reasons.
     
  11. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

    adamvk

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2008
    Location:
    Phoenix, AZ
    #11
    Thats exactly what I decided to do. :)

    4GB DDR3 Ram + 500GB 7200RPM Hdd.
     
  12. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2007
    #12
    You can drive yourself crazy trying to keep on top of the latest and greatest. You are also taking big monetary hits by upgrading with every new release.

    Your current machine isn't all that different than the newly released machine. If you want to maximize your money, stick with what you have and re-evaluate in January when the next update happens.
     

Share This Page