Sell 2007 24", get 27"?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Vidd, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Vidd macrumors 6502a

Vidd

Hi.
    Possibly a quick answer to this one.
    I'm pretty smitten by the new 27" since I think the 24" is just a little too narrow for two webpages or other windows side by side which is a shame.

My question is, would the 27" provide noticeably better performance for things such as games? Or would I be better waiting til a future refresh?
    Either way, I probably wouldn't be buying until January/February.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

What are the specs of your current machine, what are the specs of your desired machine.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Problem with 24"s are that there are plenty of them on sale at eBay etc, and because Apple offers 24" for 1100$ in refurb store, prices for used ones are horrible as well. If it does its job well, I wouldn't sell it but if you're ready to pay the exchange, sure go for it

4. Vidd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Vidd

I suppose that would have made sense to include that in the original post:

My machine:
    320 GB Hard Drive
    2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo
    4GB DDR2 RAM
    ATI HD 2600 256MB

27":
    3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    4GB DDR3
    1TB Hard Drive
    ATI Radeon HD 4670

I thought the 27" came with Core i5 by default but it seems I was wrong. :(

5. iceblade macrumors member

Now, I don't know how imacs work, but it seems like some people have talked about adding an external monitor to an imac, is that somehow possible? If it is, could you simply get another screen? Again, I haven't ever owned an imac, so I'm not sure, but that might be cheaper than upgrading.

Just a thought, don't know if it'd work.

6. jim4spam macrumors member

I am in the same boat, thinking about changing from my 2007 24" (same spec as yours) to a 27" iMac i7. I would have thought that you need to go to the i7 otherwise it's not worth the hassle. The speed is interesting for me as I am manipulating a lot of image with CS4 and Lightroom, and the harddisk is almost full. If you are are only interested in the bigger screen then I'd look for a 2nd hand small Apple display and use that as an external monitor side by side. Some people are selling those as they buy a new iMac.

7. Vidd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Vidd

That's a sensible suggestion but I'd rather not work off two monitors and also, my HD is getting claustrophobic so it's not just pure performance.

That's why I'm asking here to find out. :p

I'm still not sure whether it's worth the price to upgrade but I'd like to sell this computer before it's not worth anything.

8. akm3 macrumors 68020

It is not worth it. Your machine is still a fantastic machine. Unless there is something you absolutely need in the 27" (mini displayport in, for example) hang out until the next revision at the earliest.