Sell 2010 and buy 2011? MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ratzzo, May 8, 2011.

1. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

Hey guys,

I bought a MBP 15" 2010 edition on January this year, because I really needed a work station at the time. But I have come to realize this probably was a silly move, given that I spent money on a nine-month old computer when a new refresh came out next month. It costed 1760 USD$.

I was wondering what you guys would do. It's the base 15" i5 model, 2.4GHz. I am aware I'd be losing money here, and depending on how much it is, I may or may not go for it. So the idea is to sell my current Mac (less than 5 months old, bought new) and buy the new refreshed model with the student discount and 0% tax. What would be the money difference? At what price could I sell this model?

Cheers
    James

2. The-Pro macrumors 65816

I had a similar dilemma myself! selling my 2010 i7 15" with several extras for the new top of the line 15". i didnt in the end, i would have profited from the new cpus but i could handle waiting those couple sec/min more for something to finish on my 2010. the money i would've have to have spent extra on the new one, is now going towards an ipad 2 or macbook air!

Depending on you what your usage is this might be profitable or not profitable for you! if you use 3d rendering apps then you would profit from the 2011 machines due to the quad core cpus. If you are a gamer, then you would receive worse graphics performance from the low end 2011 15" then your current machine. If you are a average user: browsing, email, text editing etc, you will notice no speed difference between your machine now and the new one!!

I am guessing you would get a max of 1400$ for your machine, as the i7 version goes for as low as 1600$ on ebay
    my advice is, keep your current macbook pro, unless you need to raw power of the 2011 revision!!

3. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

I bought mine the end of 2010, No intention of selling, perhaps for the next model but not this one. The price for the 2010 has dropped like a rock. Apple sells the 2010 15" with same as new warranty for only $1,269. This makes it hard to sell to anyone that knows value for more than $1,200.

The next model, with Ivy Bridge is supposed to be 30% faster than the 2011's and also use less power, 25 instead of 35watts for the CPU. Mine works great so no need to lose piles of money by selling now. Also, the next MBP is rumored to be a upgraded design.

IMy upgrade was to max out my RAM and get a big fast hard drive for a little over $200.

4. frankieboy macrumors regular

This is exactly what I did: sold a 2010 base model and bought the 2011 2.2 15" MBP.

I am glad I did: Sandy Bridge is huge. Plus I got a warranty refresh.

Sold the 2010 for $1600, bought the 2011 for $1960.

5. RANDY P macrumors newbie

chance it-

stick your mbp on ebay with a silly reserve and if it sells buy the 2011. You will get top dollar if you have all the packaging, etc etc.

I just got $605 (!) for a mid-2007 standard Macbook with a spare new battery. insides were nice, and I had documentation showing it was checked out by Apple store showing all OK. outer case was scuffed pretty hard too.

I bought said Macbook 7 mos. ago- (with 2nd battery) for $420 then installed OSX.

I MADE money on that deal Now I got me a 2011! (purchased on student discount)

rjp

6. ratzzo thread starter macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

Mmm.. ya, the prices have really dropped, I don't think it's all that profitable. All I do on my MBP is college work and some SC2 every now and then, perhaps the new refresh could have added a few more FPS on the game, that's all I'm 'angry' about, ah well.

I guess I'll keep this one, and when next year model comes out, sell it to my cousin. I wonder what the next redesign will be.

7. Doc69 macrumors 6502

Student discount and 0% tax?

Where can you buy a Mac with a student discount and pay no tax? I though you had to buy in the Apple store to get a student discount?

8. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

New Hampshire and Oregon Apple Stores - and any other state with no sales tax.