Sell 2010 iMac to get 2011 model?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by diegobgr, Apr 30, 2011.

  1. diegobgr macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2009
    #1
    Hi.

    I am reading some things aboute new iMacs. Most of people talk about Thunderbolt, Sandy Bridge...

    I have a high-end 21,5" with the i5.

    Will it worth if I sell my iMac and get a new one?

    I'm very happy with this one, I use it for almost everything, and it is great.
     
  2. stridemat Moderator

    stridemat

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2008
    Location:
    UK
    #2
    Do you need Thunderbolt? Are you satisfied with your processor power at the moment?

    If the answers are no, and yes in that order then I wouldn't upgrade.
     
  3. diegobgr thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2009
    #3
    I don't miss Thunderbolt now to be honest.

    Concerning the processor speed, I am very pleased, but I have to say that the most demanding apps that I use are Photoshop CS5 and Aperture 3.
     
  4. stridemat Moderator

    stridemat

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2008
    Location:
    UK
    #4
    I would say that you would be fine with your current iMac.
     
  5. Icaras macrumors 603

    Icaras

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2008
    Location:
    California, United States
    #5
    Lacie is already coming out with their first thunderbolt drive this summer. I expect other HD manufacturer's to start following suit soon.

    I personally can't wait for blistering fast external HDs soon, as I rely on one myself.

    That and the possibility of SSD options (as well as being cheaper, hopefully) and a quad core configuration for the high end 21.5", at least in my eyes make for quite a juicy update.
     
  6. sth macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2006
    Location:
    The old world
    #6
    If you don't need Thunderbolt (most people don't, at least not in the short term) and the performance of your current iMac is sufficient for what you do, I see no reason to upgrade. It would just be a waste of money.
     
  7. diegobgr thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2009
    #7
    Well, the update is here.

    The change will be Thunderbolt + i7 Quad Core vs. i5 3,60GHZ Dual Core.

    I think that I ill lose about 400$.

    What do you think?
     
  8. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

    rkaufmann87

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2009
    Location:
    Folsom, CA
    #8
    Based on your comments about your needs, keep you old computer. Upgrading every time there is a specification update is silly unless you have a need for the additional features.
     
  9. steadysignal macrumors 6502a

    steadysignal

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2010
    #9

    as per usual, if you like the tech, i would try to sell to refresh.

    getting harder to do this though...
     
  10. diegobgr thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2009
    #10
    I like the tech, yes, but 400$ is more than enough I think...

    Maybe wait and get a 27" in 2012.
     

Share This Page