Sell 2013 MBA for Late 2013 rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by cridgit001, Oct 29, 2013.

1. cridgit001 macrumors member

So I'm in a quandary. I bought a 2013 13" MBA w/ i5, 8 gig RAM, and 256 SDD the first week of September. Now I've always loved the Retina Display, but I needed the battery life of the Air. Now with the new rMBP, it has alleviated that issue, battery life too short.

So here's my question, should I try and sell my Air, and if so how much do you think I could get for it? It's barely 2 months old with only 25 batt. cycles on it considering.

2. Middleman-77 macrumors member

I think with it being fully specced out (as top machine), you could probably sell it for something between $1099 and $1199...

3. cridgit001 thread starter macrumors member

iWeekend - Thanks for the link. I noticed in your sig, you have the model that I'd buy, have you been experiencing any of the keyboard and freezing issues? What about the IR?

Middleman-77 - When you say, "fully specced", are you referring to the Core i7 with 16 gig ram and 512 SDD or my model?

4. iWeekend macrumors regular

Yes, the computer froze on me twice. Given the wildly differing posts on this issue, it seems random enough to be a software/Mavericks issue. Which hopefully means its fixable.

No IR here (knocks on wood).

Personally, if it were me (and ignoring the screen "envy" as one thread calls it here) I'd keep the 2013 Air. For me, the screen won out, but I'm also coming from not having a viable laptop.

5. cramazing macrumors 6502

i just sold my MBA (spec on sig) for 1275

was gonna get the new 13" RMBP, but can't decide on spec.

Will prob go for the 2.6/8/512

but am also thinking about the 15" rmbp as well....

1st world problems, i purchase the 13" last sunday from Apple to play with and see how I like it, will probably return it this week and get the 15" and see if I like that before I make a final decision and see which one I want.

6. jmoore5196 macrumors 6502a

jmoore5196

Many of us, I suspect, are in the same situation ... or want to be! Would you post to let us know your thoughts on how the 13" rMBP compares to your MBA?

7. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

I would keep your air...

-more or less same speed (geekbench)
    -1440-900 (air) vs 1280-800 (pro) *note* 2560 x 1600 display is really 1280-800 just with 4 pixels in each spot
    -slightly extra weight

8. majkom macrumors 65816

you can scale resolution to 1440x900 and it looks much much better than on air (no pixels, ups display).. only issue with retina mbpr is that UI seems laggy to me... dont know whether its sw or hw issue

9. cramazing macrumors 6502

the air was flawless, even after Maverick there was very little issues, only thing i noticed was the scrolling back and forward on Safari which caused a freeze, happened on twice.

with the RMBP, the screen is the big winner, to me its more about quality of life, looking at the Retina is just soooooo much better on the eyes.

yes i have experienced the trackpad and keyboard freeze, but thats all software stuff that Apple will fix soon.

Feel wise, the Retina is a bit bulkier, but the footprint also feels smaller compare to the air, sometimes i feel like the 13" rmbp is really a 12" since the mba feels longer than the mpb

performance wise, i didnt feel much of a difference on light use...

10. majkom macrumors 65816

do you use scaled resolution on your retMBpro? don't you feel UI be a bit laggy (expose?)... in comparison to 2013 air? thx.

11. Constantine.T macrumors member

I have the same dilemma. Can't decide whether should I sell my MBA 13 i7 8gb and buy pro 13. Looks like I got retina envy :) mainly because undoubtedly retina would me much better for eyes and daily use as main computer. Ohh what should I do...

12. cramazing macrumors 6502

yea I'm on 1440x900, which i think is the best resolution for the 13in, retina is still very good. sometimes i connect it to TBD and thats when i use "best for retina"

also, i don't feel no lag, not yet at least

13. cridgit001 thread starter macrumors member

@cramazing - I'm curious, by what avenue did you sell your Air?

Also, I think a big concern for me is that I don't want to run into a massive loss of retail value (50%+, with the understanding that MBAs have good resale value usually) in the next 2 years because the new 13 inch retina's are now so close in terms of battery life to the Airs. On top of that there may not be that big of a performance difference, so now it just looks like the Retina has a far superior screen with, and in my opinion, a negligible increase in weight. Mind you I come from the realm of 17 inch plus size laptops, so 3-3.5 lbs isn't a big deal.

Would $1200 be too optimistic? I was going to throw in my Incase as well, it's also got 2011 Mac Office on it.

14. dj95 macrumors member

I've also noticed this animation choppiness, played with the new 13/15 RMBP in the apple store yesterday and the 3 finger swipe into expose was choppy, while the same action on even the 11inch MBA was completely fluid? Is the integrated GPU of the RMBP still underpowered? I know a couple of minutes playing with one in the store isn't a true representation of them but still interesting.

15. Constantine.T macrumors member

Does the MBP 13 still have lags of animation ? If so, I am a bit confused.
    Maybe Iris 5100 is still not enought for Retina display... Today I was in apple store, air 13 has pretty good display, but retina is much better for eyes for sure. Nevertheles, I am leaning to air (top configuration) due to design, batery life and smooth interface work.

16. dmk1974 macrumors 68000

dmk1974

It gets some lag at 1680x1050, but not bad at 1440x900.

If you run an app like QuickRes and run in non-HiDPI mode, there is no lag at all, but not true retina resolution. Still IMO better than the MacBook Air display though.

I am having the same dilemma though. Sell my MBA or return the rMBP? Basically, it's do I want a beautiful screen for an upcharge or save the money hand have a better battery?

17. Shubbeh macrumors member

Greetings!
    First time poster here -- this forum seemed like the best community to discuss my questions :p
    So I'm kind of in the same situation except I have a 2012 11" MBA. I've been considering an upgrade to a Haswell-based computer due to the obscene battery life, and I'm on the fence between a 2013 13" MBA and the new 13" rMBP.
    If I went with the MBA, I'd get the one with the 256 GB SSD and upgrade to 8 GB of RAM, then add AppleCare on top as I foresee keeping this one for a while.
    The "middle" 13" rMBP already has 8 GB of RAM and the 256 GB SSD, and if I add AppleCare on top, it comes out at about the same price as the decked out 13" MBA I just described.
    So it's not really a price issue, more of a specs issue.

My main thing is I'm a gamer. I know, I know, I probably shouldn't get a Mac, but I want something light and portable and I like OS X and I can install Windows easily. I'm 100% willing to compromise on gaming performance, meaning I don't need to run my games on super ultra, nor do I expect to run demanding games in the first place. I have a high-end desktop for my regular gaming.

The rMBP appeals to me because it has Iris, which is quite a bit better than the MBA's Intel HD 5000, but it's not able to play games at 2560x1600 (even high-end desktop cards would struggle), so...

After stating all of the above, my main question is: how do games run on the rMBP at lower resolutions, whether in Windows or OS X? I'm perfectly OK running games at 1440x900 for example, or even 1280x800. What I'm wondering is if the device can "handle" that in terms of letting me pick those lower resolutions in games, and how they look and play. On the MBA, I'd be running them as the screen's native resolution so it's a non-issue, but I'm wondering how the rMBP behaves in those situations.

18. mattferg macrumors 6502

If you're a gamer, get the rMBP and run the games at the MBA's resolution. You'll get much better performance and be much happier!

19. Constantine.T macrumors member

Check this out and then decide:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1657520

20. Shubbeh macrumors member

21. Constantine.T, Nov 3, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2013

Constantine.T macrumors member

Same problem, but most likely I'll keep my Air 13 i7 8gb for now and wait one year for an updated version of MBP with decent graphic card for Retina. After that I will decide whether to sell MBA and buy MBP. Right now I am not ready to pay for an unstable product with keyboard & touchpad issues, IR image problems, interface lags and so on. Summing it up, there are so many nuances, seems RMP is still "crude" and now would be better to rely on Air despite "Retina magnificent quality of image". Of course there is a big chance that you will get stable version of MBP but I am not willing to play with the destiny this time :) Moreover, I think "retina envy" is purely psychological factor, Air is pretty stable and well-optimized product, the image quality is also on the decent level IMO. I don't see any pixels if I not kiss the display :)

22. cridgit001 thread starter macrumors member

So I went back to the apple store today with my Air in tow to test some of the issues mentioned above. Honestly, couldn't tell the difference. I couldn't see any lag in the UI, even with the retina at 1440x900. I compared The Verge website, due to its heavy graphics, and the retina was actually doing better in scrolling.

Also, my understanding is that the keyboard freezing, is a software issue, so that can be resolved. As far as IR goes, I believe it's gotten better. I've heard about them meeting with LG about it and I've seen some people bring up a grey screen, leave it on for 15 min, and the previous ghosting from websites go away. It doesn't fix it no, but it does allieviate some of the issues.

Lastly, I read a lot of articles, so having crisp text is of a real benefit for me. I also have an iPad but I really don't use it for the Internet most of the time. Usually just for Netflix when I'm doing something else on my MacBook air.

Given all that, I threw up my MBA on Craigslist today. We'll see what happens.

23. majkom macrumors 65816

Just sold my 4 months old mb air and gonna order mb pro retina;)

24. cridgit001 thread starter macrumors member