Sell 24" iMac for 15" MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by crisito, Jun 11, 2009.

1. crisito macrumors regular

I'm thinking about selling my 24" iMac (2 years old, 2.4 GHz, 320GB HD) to get the basic 15" MacBook Pro which has just been updated. I don't really need it to leave my desk a lot, but now and again maybe. Also, I will be leaving to go to another country to work in a year's time, but I suppose I could wait until next year to switch.

Would it be a good idea to move from an iMac to the MacBook Pro?

The main thing I'm worried about is switching from a massive 24" since, losing 9 inches by going to the 15" screen.

Keeping both is not really an option.

Thanks for any opinions about this.

2. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

I would consider the 17" model instead, since it really is a large loss in screen size and resolution. I work with both machines often, and it's definitely much more pleasurable to work on the iMac. Another option is to go with the 15" and an external display, since again, it's a huge difference going from one machine to the other. If you're not in a financial position to do either, I would wait until you are before committing to such a high-dollar purchase, as to do it without regrets.

3. crisito thread starter macrumors regular

The 17" is too expensive for me. It's £1849 over here in the UK.

I may get an external monitor though.

4. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

I would highly consider an external display, but play with the machine first if you have access to one. Perhaps you will cope just fine. External LCD's are very cheap these days so take a look around online and I'm sure you can find a nice one in your budget. You will probably also need to factor in the cost of a mini-displayport to DVI or dual-link DVI adapter depending on what monitor you buy, since there are few displayport models available now. If you do manage to find one, you will need a mini-displayport to displayport adapter instead.

5. crisito thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I would probably get a 24" monitor or just plug it into my 42" Plasma TV. I'm not sure yet.

A few years ago before I got my iMac, I had a 24" monitor and a white MacBook, but I switched to an iMac because it was always connected to the display, never used portably. But now I think my needs have changed and I would use it away from my desk.

6. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

What's the point? I would keep your iMac. It's probably faster than a MBP would be (desktop hard disk), and the screen is miles better. As nice as the new screens are, they can't compare to a 24" IPS screen. If you were going to use the computer portably on a regular basis (i.e. half of the computing time) then I'd say it's worth it, but to throw away the superior stationary computing experience for a few here and there mobile sessions? Not worth it.

If and when it comes time to move, get a laptop then. They'll only be better and cheaper.

Ruahrc

7. crisito thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your reply. I will have to consider how often I'm going to use it away from the desk.

8. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

Why upgrade?

I still have my 2.4 20 inch imac and love it and wouldn't trade it just for a macbook.

I instead just upgraded the ram to 4GB and installed a 1TB hard drive. Breathed a whole lot of new life into this computer for little cash (~$130 total). I still anticipate having my imac for another 1~2 years (until they release a quad core)

9. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

if you don't want to be tied to your desk a 100% of the time buy a laptop ...

10. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

going from a 20ish" anything to a mbp is gonna massively suck. When i unhook from my 22" monitor im like wow, how did i ever sit at a desk with just a 15". Id just get a sweet monitor if you did get one.

11. crisito thread starter macrumors regular

It's just that I'm on the iMac a lot of time during a typical day constantly sitting at my desk. I think I would prefer to use it on the coach, in bed, etc. as well as taking it to girlfriend's house now and again and on holiday etc.

Maybe I won't tho, maybe it will just it on my desk.. dilemma!

12. eazyc10 macrumors member

I'm actually considering the complete opposite. Trade in my 15" mbp for a 24" imac and maybe i'll end up buying a new 13" mbp.

13. crisito thread starter macrumors regular

Edging towards Macbook Pro 15" and 24" Monitor from Dell...

14. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

Honestly, the 15" doesn't offer anything more than the 13" does. That's why I have a new MPB 13" and 17" :D

BTW...selling my iMac and using the 17" plus external display to replace it.

15. srexy macrumors 6502a

If you're used to the 24" display you'll have to get an external display if you're going to even remotely enjoy your MBP. The 15" is tiny by comparison.

If you do go that route and you're looking at one of the lower spec machines anyway - you may as well get a 13" and really enjoy portability.

16. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

What do you use your 13 and 17" for, wouldn't it be easier to use one computer for everything? (except as an HTPC or similar, 2nd dedicated computer is good for that).