Sell 3 Macs... get Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tibbon, Jun 30, 2007.

1. tibbon macrumors member

My goal is to not spent more money, as I'm eating Ramen at the moment.

My current computers are:

-almost brand new Mac Mini intel 1.83ghz, 2gb memory
    -iBook G4 800mhz, 640mb memory, 30gb hd
    -G4 MDD dual 1.25ghz, 1.75gb memory, added dual layer pioneer drive and USB 2.0 PCI card and Firewire 400 card + extra 300gb hd.

I've been using the MDD and the Mini side by side on two different monitors sharing the keyboard/mouse with Teleport, which works ok.

The iBook is where I actually spend 80% of my time, as I'm a manager for a small open source consulting firm and work from whereever i like.

I use my desktop(s) for Logic Pro (on G4), and Aperture (on Mini) as my primary applications. I realized recently when ripping a few DVDs, that the Mini is like... 3-4x faster on some things than my G4. I wasn't shocked or anything, but when I was buying it they weren't saying it would be THAT much faster in real-world applications.

So I was thinking of selling my G4 MDD, as apparently they still go for a decent amount if it has a superdrive and is decently upgraded (which I feel mine is).

A friend the other day proposed that I sell ALL of my Macs, and get a Macbook Pro (he had been researching them himself). I could certainly sell them all and afford a Macbook, but I feel that the lower end Macbook Pro would offer a nicer boost due to the better screen (and no gloss) and better graphics card.

I don't NEED all of these different computers to manage. I'm find with basically docking my Macbook Pro when i get home into all my USB/Firewire devices (and I do have some FW800 hard drives, which is another +1 on the Pro).

Seems that after student discount, I can nab a Macbook Pro (not going to get Applecare... i know i know, but I haven't used it on ANY of my macs except for a single hard drive replacement) for just under $1900 after tax.

Thoughts?

I've got several offers on my G4 MDD for $800. Thinking I can sell the Mac Mini (still have box and all) for $800+ (since the memory is upgraded) and likely get .... $300? for the iBook? The iBook has a nearly new battery due to an Apple recall. That would put me at exactly what I need for the Macbook Pro.

EDIT: Also, just remembered that I'd get a free nano with the purchase. As nice as a nano is, I'll probably not open the box and just sell it on eBay/CL to help pad this purchase out. I also have two 19" Dell CRTs that are actually rather nice that i'm going to sell for... $50 for the pair? And i have an iSight that I will no longer need.

Only thing I can't figure out so far... is that I'll be without a computer for a day or two... have to have a computer... hmm. Maybe if I sell the last piece locally then I can just go straight to the Apple store and purchase.

2. vendettabass macrumors 6502a

vendettabass

sounds like a good plan! perfect time for MBP purchases too :)

3. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

i think you would make enough for a refurb mbp if you sold all of them...that mini goes for like $600-$700 by itself...maybe $300 each for the others and you'll be close to the refurb price

4. Big D Skins macrumors newbie

DO IT!!!! I can not think of a better machine then the new SR MBP's!! I love mine!

5. tibbon thread starter macrumors member

Perhaps I have slightly over-valued the Mini a bit, but with the 2gb and it being the 1.83 model, it seems that those fetch a little closer to 700-800 on eBay, and I've still got the box and all (which doesn't hurt). Of course i'll be taking it in all directions from eBay/Paypal fees, but I'll try to sell locally first on CL.

The expanded MDDs have (to the extent of my jaw dropping over this) kept their value better than any other 4 year old computer I've seen. I truthfully can't believe it.

I'm crossing my fingers and seeing what I can pull outta my ass on this.

6. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

yeah...even better if they get $700-$800.

7. newton213 macrumors member

Definitely sell that iSight, I sold mine on eBay a couple months ago, and even though it was used, still scored $200 for it. They're going higher than retail since they're not making them anymore, and people still have a need for them. Me, I got a great deal on an Xbox 360 webcam that also works with the Mac, plug and play, iChat and all! You'll be set with the built-in iSight. Good luck!

8. tibbon thread starter macrumors member

Unexpected but nice. Figure that between all of the computers, student discount, selling the Nano, etc... I should be fine. Apparently the iBooks 12" are selling like nuts on eBay due to Apple not having any 12" laptop out!

9. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

i think if you're lucky, you can even get the midrange mbp!
    $700 (mini) + $800 (G4) + $400 (ibook) + $200 (isight)= $2100 plus whatever else you want to sell.
    go to a tax free state and with student discount you can get the midrange mbp for $2250, even less with an adc discount.

10. tibbon thread starter macrumors member

Hmm. I do live in Mass.. and going up to NH is only a 25 minute drive. Would be WELL worth it to save on taxes. Killer idea!

11. ricgnzlzcr macrumors 6502a

ricgnzlzcr

Wow, that sounds like a great plan in order to get a powerful computer for no extra cost. I'd do it immediately before prices drop even quicker on your computers

12. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

The isight will be 200 minimum. My friend was trying to buy one and she said it jumped up to 400 USD. She finally just got a third party camera for 90 bucks. People are insane about the isight.

13. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

Also, browing around ebay, your ibook seem to be able to get to $500 instead of $400. Wow those things retain their value well! Like the last post said, if you can get $400 for the isight, you'll have leftovers in your budget to get yourself some accessories or decent food ;)

14. jng macrumors 65816

jng

Agreed.

tibbon, I just found your CL listing. Some tips: include pictures so people think it's real. You might also get more hits if you had separated the listings intead of lumping them all together.

Throw the iSight on ebay. You'll easily bring in more than $100, way better than the $80 you're asking for.

I don't know about 200 or 400 dollars, maybe for a sealed item. I sold my 3 year old iSight for $170ish a few months ago and that seems to be the market value for it.

15. tibbon thread starter macrumors member

Thanks

I changed the pricing on my iSight listings, as the iBook listning. I'd hate to sell myself too short.

I'll be taking photos in a few moments and adding those.

16. Jht macrumors member

Definitly go for it, I did a similar thing a month or so back, I put my mini on ebay to fund a new pc, would have liked a macbook or imac but didn't think I'd be able to afford one, the mini sold a lot better than I expected, paid £420 for it, sold for £385, then put a load of random crap on as well, ipod, old phones, games just random stuff and ended up getting £550, borrowed some money off parents and got a new macbook on edu discount.:)

17. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

hmmmm a used isight in box goes for $125 on ebay with 20 hrs left... so i think $200 isn't far off at all.

18. tibbon thread starter macrumors member

Just wanted to let everyone know that this worked wonderfully. I got over $2300 for everything and picked up a nice MBP. I'm so happy with this machine.

19. ricgnzlzcr macrumors 6502a

ricgnzlzcr

Happy to hear it. Sounds like you'll put it to great use since you were on the ibook 80% of the time.

20. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

Congrats! Glad that everything worked out well for you. What are the specs of the mbp if you don't mind sharing?