Sell 3G now, or wait?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by upsguy27, Jun 16, 2009.

1. upsguy27 macrumors 65816

upsguy27

Okay, so I've listed my 8GB 3G on eBay multiple times, each time the bidding has gotten up to $300. I set the reserve to $400. Now, I have no extra money, besides the $60 I have in cash. I'm trying to get $350 for it, but I haven't been successful. I leave to go out of town for 2 weeks Monday, and if I give the $300 person a second chance offer I should hopefully have the money in by Sunday. If I don't sell it and wait until I get back to try again, it will have been too late, because once the 3G S comes out the 3G prices will drop. If I do sell it and just save up some money, then I'll be without any phone for my 2 week trip. What should I do?

2. patrickvanzandt macrumors member

If the iPhone 3GS is not immediately unlockable, you may actually see the value rise on your 3G. Let me explain...

Last year after the 3G was released, the value of the original iPhone (2G) continued to rise for quite a while. With no 3G unlock in sight and no new 2Gs available, it was only a matter of limited supply and lots of demand!

I expect the same will happen this year, unless of course ultrasn0w handles 3GS.

3. upsguy27 thread starter macrumors 65816

upsguy27

Yeah, I thought about that, and yellowsn0w will probably cover the 3G S, or that's at least what I gathered from the dev team's latest blog post. But I hope not. If it does, and I waited, then I'm screwed.

4. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

I'd suggest you wait till you have the ability to actually afford a new high-end phone instead of spending your last $60 dollars on a toy. What's wrong with your current phone?