Sell Air, buy iPad?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dwd3885, Jun 4, 2013.

1. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

I have an ipad Mini and love it. Use it along with my 4 year old. Now my wife has a MacBook Air one if the early models. Core 2 1.4 and 2gb ram. We were thinking about selling that Air and buying a 32gb ipad 4. On the Air, she does web browsing, iTunes, paying bills and a few Excel spreadsheets for bill pay.

Would it be a good idea to do a swap here, or should we stick with what we have?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I recently got an iPad Mini and I've been exploring to see how much I can migrate from a MBP to the iPad. So far, it's apparent you'll still need a Mac for managing and syncing music (unless you buy all your music from the iTunes Store). Also, while you can work on spreadsheets on the iPad, it's not nearly as elegant and efficient as doing so on a Mac. There may be more functions that you find don't work as well on the iPad, if at all. I'd certainly keep at least one Mac around the house. Just my two cents.

3. dwd3885 thread starter macrumors 68020

We have a 27" iMac. But she has her music on the Air. It may be difficult to manage both our music libraries on one machine, you may be right.

4. B... macrumors 68000

B...

I would wait to buy the iPad 5. It will be better for around the house work because it is said to be substantially (30% +) lighter. That said, I think one should always have a portable full fledged machine, so perhaps put the old Air money into a base model 11" 2013 MBA?

5. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

While I use my iPad more then my MBP, I would never be able to give up my MBP. There's enough stuff I do that requires the laptop and some web sites I use don't work completely on the iPad. My wife gave up a laptop for an I ac and iPad combo. Works well for her.