Sell all my macs? Lion +Wifi

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by oström, Nov 14, 2011.

1. oström macrumors newbie

Hi, since I got lion on my macs the wifi has been disconnecting a lot... and also on my new 2011 macbook air (lion). My iPhone / iPad / Pc / Apple TV works great wireless and I've tried switching router even tho it's only my lion machines that's causing this problem. So, should I just sell my macs? I know I can install snow leopard on my macbook 2008 and iMac but I want lion... Apple has released one update for the wifi problem but did not work on any of my machines and now it's been many months since lion was released and still no new update :/ my question is, will this problem be solved or will I have to buy windows pc's to get a stable connection?

2. Darien Red Sox macrumors regular

Use the good old fashioned wired connection. WiFi can act weird, I have not seen any WiFi problems related directly to Lion both at home (problems caused by a cheap router) or at work. One Lion computer I saw with issues turned out to be the DHPC server running out of IP address and refusing to assign one to it.

3. PeterHolbrook macrumors 6502a

I have three computers with Lion and none of them have Wi-Fi problems. I also have two computers with Snow Leopard and one of them has Wi-Fi problems, which it "inherited" from OS X Leopard days. The Wi-Fi dropouts exhibited by some Macs have nothing to do with Lion itself. It's a hardware issue. I'm not aware of a permanent solution for it, but I always "fix" it by turning Wi-Fi off and then back on. That has always worked for me, and it remains stable for days. This happens about two or three times a month.

4. oström thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, well for me and many others it's a lion problem, if i install snow leopard the wifi works great so it's not a hardware problem...

5. PeterHolbrook macrumors 6502a

I've heard that one before. The problem for your theory is that hundreds of thousands of Lion users can deny and will deny your claim. It's a hardware issue with certain models and it has been a hardware issue since at least Leopard's days. And those of us who have Macs that CAN'T be updated to Lion (for instance, my 17-inch, first-generation Core-Duo MacBook Pro) and have Wi-Fi issues with Snow Leopard can't possibly attribute the failure to Lion, can we? So much for your claim.