Sell Apple tv 2 and buy Apple tv 3?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Ipadlover29, Dec 21, 2014.

1. Ipadlover29 macrumors 6502a

Just wanted to get some feedback and advice. I currently own an apple tv 2 that is jailbroken which I use for xbmc, netflix, youtube and airplay. I recently bought an Amazon fire tv. Now that I have the fire tv I hardly use the apple tv unless its for airplay. I was thinking of selling my apple tv 2 now while the resale value is still high. I can probably get between $200-$250 for the apple tv 2. Then buy an apple tv 3 so I can use it for airplay and have $100-$150 in my pocket. My only issue is if a newer apple tv does come out it in the next year then I would have to sell the apple tv 3 and that probably wouldnt get good resale value. Maybe I should just hold on to the apple tv 2 and just continue to use it for airplay. What are your thoughts?

thanks in advance.

2. infantrytrophy macrumors regular

I don't understand. How do you figure on getting $200 or more for an Apple TV? Apple TV is now being sold on the Apple Store for $99.

3. c1phr macrumors 6502

Because he has it jailbroken, and new Apple TVs can't be jailbroken for custom apps.

4. Ipadlover29 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have an apple tv 2 not the current apple tv 3 that is selling for $99. The apple tv 2 is worth more because you can jailbreak it and install xbmc and other cool things. Jailbroken apple tv 2's with xbmc installed easily sell for $250.

5. mgipe macrumors demi-god

mgipe

If you are only using the ATV2 for AirPlay, I would suggest selling it and picking up a used or reconditioned ATV3. Get the premium value out now while you can.

6. Starfia macrumors 6502

Starfia

I think you're probably discerning between a difference of possibly no more than $20 in the long run (unless the value of Jailbreakable 2nd generations increases further), and quite possibly less. Surely 3rd-generations will still be in demand for at least a while after a new product is introduced; I'd really just go ahead in your position.

7. Ipadlover29 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the input guys. I decided to put the apple tv 2 up for sale for $200. I might go down to $175 if I cant sell it. I heard that the prices are going down for them. I also picked up a brand new apple tv 3 to test out. I like it so far not a huge improvement for me. I do wish the Netflix app was updated with new features. I do like the new youtube app. In the end its just nice to have 1080p airplay to go with my apple devices. Ill probably end up getting a refurbished apple tv 3 for $85.

8. Imac Sam macrumors 6502

Imac Sam

I just sold a non-jail broken TV-2 for $150 on eBay. So the market is still good. I would say that was an excellent price since I got it on release day, a few years back. I replaced it with a TV-3.

9. dringkor macrumors member

Just sold my ATV2 jailbroken with XBMC for $180 on eBay and bought a new ATV3 for $99. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

10. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

11. dvdlovr24 macrumors 6502

Apple TV 2 can only output 720p.

12. laurim macrumors 68000

laurim

Exactly what I did earlier this year. I jailbroke my ATV 2, installed XBMC and all the popular add ons and sold it on eBay for $234! Bought an ATV 3 when it was being offered for a deal so it all worked out great.

Before you list do your research on eBay. I searched "jailbroken ATV 2" and listed only the recently sold listings to see what the going rate was and what add ons the highest sold ones had.

13. JackieInCo macrumors 601

I'm keeping my ATV2 to use on a TV that is 720 only and buying a new ATV at BestBuy tonight. They are on sale for $83 and with my $30 in BestBuy certificates, I can get one hell of a deal.

14. Ipadlover29 thread starter macrumors 6502a

At this point I think Im gonna keep my apple tv 2. Ive only got 2 offers one for $125 and one for $170. If I do sell my apple tv 2 and buy an apple tv 3, I will only have $45 left over. If I do buy a refurbished ill have a little more - $75. I might as well just keep the apple tv 2.

15. JackieInCo macrumors 601

The going rate on the ATV2 isn't as high as it used to be.

16. Ipadlover29 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah I wish I sold it earlier. Oh well its still a great device considering it can run xbmc and not huge difference from the newer apple tv 3.

17. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

Don't sell anything. There is never going to be an Apple TV 3, otherwise it would have already come out.

18. OutSpoken macrumors 6502a

Huh?!? Where have you been? The Apple TV 3 came out in 2012:)

19. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

My mistake. I meant that another Apple TV will never come out. It would be great if there is a hardware update that gives us access to an app store (ie. games), Bluetooth gamepad support, 4K video capability (with 4K content in the iTunes Store) and lag-free Airplay Mirror mode from iOS devices but Apple are content to keep selling us dated hardware, like they did with the Mac Pros for so long and the Mac Mini, which actually took a step backwards in performance and features.

20. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

To tell the difference you need a good light and really good eyes. Apple has a model number on the bottom of the Apple TV 2 and Apple TV 3. The Apple TV 2 will have the model number A1378, while the Apple TV 3 will have model number A1427 or model number A1469.

I shouldn't tell this secret but since, I'm sure most of you aren't in the Atlanta area, I'll share. I pick up Apple TV's very inexpensively at pawn shops. I love them. I've got 5 Apple TV's in my house now. Maybe I'm addicted. The kitchen and workshop still don't have them. Since pawnshops know almost nothing about Apple products, the prices are very good.

• Apple TV 1 - 160 GB running Linux with Kodi Gothem in Family Room (paid $40)
    • Apple TV 2 - Jailbroken with Kodi in DD12's Bedroom (paid $40)
    • Apple TV 2 - Jailbroken with Kodi in Master Bedroom (paid $50)
    • Apple TV 3 - Master Bathroom (paid $60)
    • Apple TV 3 - Home Office (paid $60)

Attached Files: