Sell BlackBerry for iPhone EDGE?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SnowLeopard2008, Feb 26, 2009.

1. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

When my LG slider died and the time came for me to purchase another phone, I choose BlackBerry for it's quality (government uses them). I paid $210 for my Pearl 8110 w/ GPS and I'm not really enjoying the benefits of having a BlackBerry (no corp email and no data). I'm starting to miss the touchscreen capabilities and mobile Safari. What do you think? Should I sell my BlackBerry? It's in near new condition, no scratches nor any visible signs of wear since I've wrapped it in a microfiber cloth while it travels in my pocket and only had it for a week or so. I can't really use the GPS without a data plan for maps.

2. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

IMHO the Pearl 8110 sucks. A lot. BlackBerries are nice due to their QWERTY keyboard -- but the 8110 lacks a traditional QWERTY layout. They're really good at e-mail (well, assuming that you've paid for the correct plan), but when it comes to doing much past that they're not so hot.

3. SnowLeopard2008 thread starter macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Yea... I'm torn between just keeping it or selling + buy iPhone 2G. The 2G iPhone is "old" and I'm hesitant on purchasing a 2 year old piece of technology.

4. Whorehay macrumors 6502a

Whorehay

Without a data plan, I'd get an iPhone for sure.

Blackberries are extremely limited phones without the plan. The iPhone has much better WiFi integration (Mail, Safari, Weather, Stocks, etc. all work great on WiFi) while everything is crippled on the Blackberry without a data plan. It's basically just a regular old phone without a data plan.

With a data plan, it would depend on your preferences.

But yeah, those 2G prices are still sky high. You'd probably need to pay another 50-100 bucks after you sell your Pearl to get one in decent condition.

5. SnowLeopard2008 thread starter macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

That's mainly why I'm hesitating. It's not like I don't have the money, but in this economy, I'm just not so sure. I think I'm going to sell it though. having just a BlackBerry and no iPod is torture. I see a few brand new iPhones 2G 8GB models on craiglists around my area for $300. Should I be watching for scams at that price point? Or am I safe?

6. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

7. SnowLeopard2008 thread starter macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I don't have a mobile data plan...

8. OnceBitten macrumors member

I love my Old G2 iphone . you can find them for about 300.00 in great condition.

9. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

10. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

iPhone > bb regardless, but if you don't have data it's not even close. iPhone can still do a lot offline and with wifi, but the bb is basically just a phone without data.

11. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

No worries. The Nokia's got WiFi just like the iPhone.

It also comes with SIP support (VoIP) right out of the box. I've got it set up with a VoIP-based US inbound number for when I'm in the UK and a VoIP-based UK inbound number for when I'm in the US. It's awesome if you travel a lot, esp. since Nokia didn't bow down to carriers and prevent VoIP over HSDPA. :p

Yes, you can get an 8GB iPhone for about 300 if you are lucky, but the lack of expandability, the lack of 3G, the lack of GPS (which the E71 also has), the lack of Bluetooth syncing, and the sheer amount of hackery that the iPhone requires to get features that come stock on the E71 mean that a 2G iPhone is of questionable value -- at least it would be to me for that price.

12. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Yeah, and the E71 has a tiny little screen and no touchscreen. Having fun watching movies on that thing. No amount of "hackery" is going to allow you to play 3D or accelerometer based games on it. Oh, and good luck replicating the usefulness, simplicity, and variety of the 15,000 apps on the app store.

3G you mentioned, but he's not getting a data plan either way, so meh. GPS may or may not be useful. I have a real GPS in my car and the cell tower triangulation on the iphone 2G is pretty darn good for locating myself if I'm just walking around. Bluetooth syncing is not something I've ever wished I could do... ever.

Look, I'm not knocking your choice. You love your Nokia - good for you. But you're acting like someone would have to be a fool to choose an iphone 2G over the E71 and deliberately ignoring the many, many advantages the iphone has. As with any tech purchase, the answer comes down to the individual user's needs, wants, and budget. The E71 sounds like a fine phone that has some advantages, but it's certainly nothing I'd run out to replace my iphone 2G with.

13. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

I do actually. Yeah, it's smaller than the iPhone's screen, but the fact that I can fit a couple seasons of each show that I like on cheap little microSD cards makes up for it. Removable storage hath its perks. :p

I don't buy mobile phones on the basis of what games they can play, although I'm sure some people do.

I can already fart, so there go close to 100 apps... :p Seriously though, it should be pretty easy, given that Symbian's got about the same number of apps. I've not yet found any applications (aside from games) that don't have equivalents on the E71.

Indeed. It might be useful in the future, or if he travels, etc.

It's not triangulation. The iPhone can't do that. It will use Skyhook's database to guess your position based on what towers and APs it can associate with -- but the accuracy of that varies wildly depending on where you are. In my current location, the iPhone's estimate puts me 30+ miles away, across a very large body of water (which, needless to say, is completely useless for navigation.) YMMV though.

It's not a killer app, no, but it's a nice convenience. I can leave my phone in my pocket, and all I have to do to sync is to select "Sync Now" from the sync menu on the menu bar. I'm pretty thrilled I don't have to screw with iTunes, actually, as I don't use it for playing music.

The only major advantages of the iPhone are a large number of games (and some damn sexy 3D capabilities), a larger touch screen, and a nice design. The iPhone's not a bad phone, but I'd have a hard time justifying it given the cost and the amount of work I'd have to put into it to get a comparable feature set. Yes, with jailbreaking and a bit of work it can do most of the things that the E71 can do. But there's not that much that it can do that the E71 can't -- and given the sacrifices I'd have to make, the promise of some games and a bigger screen just doesn't seem that appealing.

I agree. If you've already got a 2G, keep it. It's a fine phone in its own right. But if you're in the market for a new phone, the E71 is, in my mind, a smarter buy.

14. Whorehay macrumors 6502a

Whorehay

I'd say get the iPhone or just keep the Blackberry for the time being. The E71 is a great phone, but unless you're willing to plop down the $15 a month it costs to get unlimited MediaNet, you're better off getting an iPhone. The WiFi/Mac integration is that good.

That said, it depends on what prices you get. I've found E71s regularly for around 220-250, and 340 new at Amazon. iPhone is still hovering around $240-300 depending on condition, and new ones are still selling at the original price of $400.

I'd still rank your situation as follows:
    1) Get the iPhone
    2) Stick with your BlackBerry
    3) Get any other phone

15. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

16. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

ppc750 - I could continue to debate the relative merits of each phone with you (I certainly disagree with some of your points), but I'll just repeat what I said earlier - the E71 has some nice features the iPhone 2G lacks and vice versa. We could keep going back and forth about which matter more, but at the end of the day, it's about your needs, wants, and budget. In a nutshell - what is valuable to YOU?

Since the OP has a bb and isn't happy with it, I'd wager he wouldn'tbe happy with the E71. The iPhone is a whole other beast and might fit the bill better.

17. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Point taken. I only recommended the E71 since I'm also a BlackBerry refugee. :D I despised my Curve, but I love the BB concept, thus I tried and fell in love with the E71. I also got an iPhone (2G) as well, and loved it for different reasons. The fact that he has a BB at the moment made me think that he might be open to trying a similar device.

On another note, when will RIM fix their OS? It's a major POS, and both Symbian and OS X completely trounce it. The number of weird bugs is truly staggering, and that's coming from someone who (ages ago) was forced to use a Windows Mobile device... :mad:

18. Whorehay macrumors 6502a

Whorehay

It's a major POS, but it works. :)

19. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Fixed that for you. :D

20. SnowLeopard2008 thread starter macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

WinMo is POS. (remember Scott Forstall's comment about the Task Manager?)
    BlackBerry OS is pretty sweet. Not as GUI pretty as iPhone OS, but gets the job done.
    iPhone OS is the best but for business users, not so.