Sell brand new iPhone 3g?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jeremy08, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Jeremy08 macrumors regular

Ok, So I have had the 3G iPhone since release (White 16 Gb) this past summer. I have had 4 replacement phones so far due to the infamous hairline cracks in the plastic housing. Needless to say, Apple has finally decided to replace my phone with a non-refurbished phone, because they claim they have solved the problem. I have heard many places that they haven't, and likely this brand new iPhone will have the same problems as before. My question is this: I am going to throw my current sim in an old GMS phone, and was planning on just selling the new before even opening it (which is being sent from Apple care), do you think that I would be able to just take it back to the Apple store and get in store credit? I mean, it is completely unopened, and although I don't have a receipt, I don't know why they couldn't just give me in store credit since it is the same to them anyway. So anyway, do you think Apple would let me just get credit instore if i bring in the unopened iPhone and say i didn't want it or whatever excuse i make up, or do you think I should just sell it on ebay. By the way, i am doing this (if you hadn't guessed) because I would rather wait a couple of months and get the new phone (assuming it comes out this summer). Thoughts?:confused::apple::confused:

2. vinay427 macrumors 6502a

vinay427

I think you should ask at Apple but I doubt it. If not, sell it on eBay. Good luck!

3. aok1975 macrumors 6502

How can you return an item after almost a year. The return policy is 30 days. Also, why would you want to get a $300 store credit when you can easily sell the phone for 500+.

4. Espo macrumors 6502

would someone actually buy the phone for 500+ when it only cost 300 w/ a contract?

5. megamanbnmaster macrumors 6502

because if you buy it for 500, you don't need a contract. It's 700 for a noncontract iPhone.

6. Jeremy08 thread starter macrumors regular

They are sending me a BRAND NEW UNOPENED iPHONE! Meaning the fact that I have had this other iPhone which i am SENDING BACK TO THEM, is completely arbitrary. I just won't have an official receipt for this UNOPENED BRAND NEW (NEW WARRANTY AND ALL) iPhone that is coming via fedex tomorrow. So what I am wondering is, can i just take it back and ask for credit? And 300 is not the price for a brand new 16g Iphone if you buy it without a contract, it is something like 599/699 for no commit pricing. Aka my phone is worth well over 500+, it is worth $699. I am wondering, would an apple store give me credit for this amount if i just brought the phone in (UNOPENED, and SHRINK WRAPPED of course, just to clarify, im not trying to take back on OLD phone, BRAND NEW!!!)???

7. Jeremy08 thread starter macrumors regular

Exactly what im saying, so you think i could just take this unopened 16g back and have apple give me a 700 gift card + tax? I mean you would think no way, but if i bring in a brand new unopened iPhone, are they really gonna say, uhhh you can't return that? I mean maybe so, maybe thats their policy, or maybe they would say well you have no receipt, so you can't return it, but that would also confuse me, because i am fairly sure that if i had an unopened touch without a receipt that i brought in they would have no problem giving me a credit for that...So same idea? thoughts?

8. aok1975 macrumors 6502

Sorry but are you an adult? You purchased an item almost a year ago and want to return it. Also you want to return it and get more than what you paid for it. Think about what you are asking.

9. megamanbnmaster macrumors 6502

If they give you a brand new iPhone because of your warrenty, the warrenty of that iPhone will be the same as yours. It will end when your warrenty ends, thus its not a "brand new" in technical terms. There is almost no way Apple would let you just return that iPhone back, especially since you paid 300 for the first 3G and you want 700 back. Thats like scamming them 400 dollars. You're better off just selling it on ebay.

10. aok1975 macrumors 6502

Thats the only way.

11. Jeremy08 thread starter macrumors regular

Actually I asked, and the csr confirmed the warranty starts over, and they are sending a brand new phone, box with headphones, charger, etc. But I guess I see you point, they wouldn't give me 400 more than I paid for it, even though theoretically they could turn around and sell it for that. I guess I will just eBay it, sure I can get 500+ off of it...Just hate those damn fees.