Sell Core2duo MBP for new imac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by chaslam, Aug 17, 2007.

1. chaslam macrumors regular

Basically, I have a 2.16 C2D MBP and my friend has recently brought a new imac, which I have fallen in love with.

Do you think its worth me selling my MBP (in near new condition) and getting a new mac? I dont really use the power for anything, just love the look and 24" screen. I would get an external screen for my MBP, but I would only get an apple one, as they are so much nicer then all others, but so much more expensive.

What would you do?

2. joekix macrumors 6502

joekix

that's a tough decision, i'm selling my mbp too. it's on ebay right now. my dilema was that i wanted the 17 inch mbp. i bit the bullet and bought one already and now i'm waiting for my 15" inch to sell. i also thought about the new imac too. they're so cool looking. i wish i were rich and i wouldn't have this problem.

3. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

you could probably sell the macbook pro for the cost of a new imac (maybe?). if i were you, i'd just ask myself which i wanted more, a macbook pro or an imac. is there anything really anything else to consider?

4. chaslam thread starter macrumors regular

Well one of the main things that struck me was the screen. It was alot bigger and brighter. One thing to consider I suppose is where im going to be using it. I use my mbp and will be using the imac directly opposite a window, so thats something to think about with the glossy screen. I currently have a matte screen on my MBP, but had a glossy on my MB which wasnt to bad.

The main thing is the extra screen size. I just love it. One thing I would love is a massive screen, but they are all so expensive. Any recommendations for a good screen, reasonably big (bigger then 20") for a reasonable price?

5. ricgnzlzcr macrumors 6502a

ricgnzlzcr

Do you frequently move your mbp from your desk? If not then the imac might be the way to go since you do get that increased screen size.

6. bennyboi macrumors regular

bennyboi

Good Monitor

Check out Dell.com. Only time I hear MacRumors users using "Dell" and "Awesome" in same sentence is when they talk about their awesome monitors they got at a fraction of mac's monitors.

Also man- I'm not too keen on the iMac. Terrible for gaming, and no expansion possibilities. If you're doing just email and internet stuff, iMac is fine then.

7. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Im battling with this decision as well. Now that i have the iMac i could sell the MBP and bring in some money. Since the iMac came i've rarely touched the MBP.

I like portables but having the MBP is now overkill with the iMac present so im thinking i should sell it and maybe get an ultraportable if they ever show up or a MacBook when they get updated.

The new iMac is just stunning and powerful. I love it.

8. chaslam thread starter macrumors regular

I never really move it around. Just around the house anyway. I just love having a big screen and would love an imac.

9. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

why not just hook your mbp up to a really big screen then? ;)
    HDTV's are quite good.. much bigger than the imac screens ;)

10. chaslam thread starter macrumors regular

I do have a 32" TV, but thats to big, and its on the wall, and the sky box is connected to it aswell as the xbox 360, which will mean most of the time I will be using it for that, meaning I cant use it with my mbp, which I use alot aswell as the TV.

11. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

It all comes down to how much portability means to you. With an iMac, you can't move it around the house on a daily basis or take it with you to the porch/couch/bed etc. If you're content to just sit in front of a desk and not move your computer around, then iMac would be great. If not, just keep the mbp, and invest in a monitor, whether it be ACD or a Dell one.

12. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

You really have to weigh in portability. I got a macbook and sometimes really wish I got an iMac but those occasional times I go somewhere and need a computer I am sure glad I went the way I went.

13. chaslam thread starter macrumors regular

Yes thats the same with me. i dont really move it around a hell of alot, but when I do, Im glad I got it. I probably move it 3 or 4 times a month, which means its not exactly a huge issue for me.

14. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

Maybe iMac plus a refurb macbook? If you're just surfing on the net and doing light stuff, a G4 ibook/powerbook would also suffice.

15. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

well, If you do not think the portability is a great benefit to your needs than go ahead and get the iMac.

16. gcortega macrumors member

I was stuck between the same decision. I wanted to wait until the 17" LED MBP's came out but i decided to go for the new iMac 20" 2.4.

Its amazing!!!! I'm so happy with it. It's so elegant and fast. I will buy the MBP later on when the cpu is much better.

17. CalPoly10 macrumors regular

Go for the iMac! I think those are sweet computers, and I am sure you will love it

18. Annndy! macrumors regular

Annndy!

I had this same dilemma when the new iMacs came out, but in the end I decided to stick with my MBP. I take it outside at least once every day though, so I really don't think a desktop can fit my needs right now.

19. jedivulcan macrumors 6502

I thought about getting an iMac, but I don't think it could even replace my MBP even if all my MBP does it sit at a desk. Reason being is power redundancy. If the power goes out, there's not a chance to at least save my work before I either go into standby or shutdown. When I'm away, my MBP is set for a quick standby so when I do get home, I can do the same thing. I think they should build small batteries into the iMac personally.

20. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

They're called Uninterruptable Power Supplies (UPS for short). Pretty much a surge protector with a battery built in. I got on a few years ago at Staples for $20 and it was enough to run my old Dell P4 for about 8 minutes before it ran out of power. That was plenty of time to save and quit.