Sell Current iMac for this iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by WAM2, Dec 12, 2011.

1. WAM2 macrumors 6502a

WAM2

I Have repackaged my current iMac, restored it to its original settings with the restore disks, and am ready to sell it. But I Want to make sure I Am making the right move here. It is half a year old, basically new. But after having got into gaming, and video editing, my MacBook Pro (the one in my signature) just feels smoother, I Love the screen on my iMac though, and its just a joy to edit on a desktop compared to a laptop, So I Want to get rid of mine and jump to get this one: http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC814LL/A

Obviously I Will see a speed increase, and the main reason that sparked me wanting to get rid on this iMac, is that it's logicboard failed after light use and only having it for half a year. It seriously has 30 minutes on the new board from restoring from the restore disc. Its basically brand new, literally, the only thing that actually has use on it is the Hard drive, heck even the display was never on full brightness. So I Am hoping to get $950 - $999 out of it. So with that said, I Don't want to have a model that's going to be dead after half a year, though after thinking about it, i don't expect it to break again.

So What My Question is. Should I get rid of this iMac and my MacBook pro for THIS: http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC814LL/A

or Save up for 8gb of ram and a 250gb SSD.

Again I Game, and Video edit, and yes I thought about building a gaming PC, but I Love the mac experience, and it seems that iMac is the cheapest option with the highest end Graphics card for the iMacs. So whats the best option?

2. D4F Guest

D4F

All your options are wrong. iMac is not for gaming. It's enclosure is a heat freak. Too tight inside to give components enough cooling. Apparently you want a Mac just cause it is a Mac. Build a gaming pc, what ever you have left put aside and get yourself a Mac mini for the osx/web experience.

3. zodiaque macrumors member

so what you are saying is its impossible to game on a imac? while my 27" imac(2010) just pulls off fine playing wow/ swtor(bootcamp) and the such

4. WAM2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

WAM2

thats what im saying, the iMac that I Linked to is a 27" 3.1ghz Quad i5, and has a 6970m, I Have read reviews and it is a great gaming machine as far as i can tell, I Dont expect to run it at full res, but at 1080p which it should be fine with, and i have heard with no AA at full res games run just fine.

iMacs have a pretty good heat manage system, I Know because I Own one. Mine never gets to a dangerous temp even when gaming or rendering.

5. Sandman1969 macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

smcFanControl will take care of any heating issues. iMacs play games just fine. He said he didn't want to build a PC gaming system.

Get the iMac! That is the same one I bought. Well two of them. Granted we don't play games like we used to. Used to play WoW, but not anymore.

That will suit you just fine. Don't expect the top line benchmarks but they are definitely respectable.

You might also think about the i7. It pops into the Refurb site every once in awhile. Though it never lasts. Though not sure it is worth $200. The big gain is from the 6770 to 6790. Which you would get with the one you linked.

What video card and proc is in your current iMAC? Was that the i3?

6. WAM2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

WAM2

Yes, the Intel Core i3 3.06ghz , and A 4670 256mb