Sell current MBP for upcoming MBP 2011?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Jenko, Jan 4, 2011.

  1. Jenko macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2009
    #1
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

    O have just read the thread on sandy bridge and it makes for interesting reading. My question is simple. I bought MBP 15" 2010 i7 high-res in august is it worth selling it to upgrade to the new MBP's when they come out or not. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks jenko.
     
  2. deeddawg, Jan 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2011

    deeddawg macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2010
    Location:
    US
    #2
    Although the Sandy Bridge info has been released nobody here knows specifically how that will affect the MBP line, just guesses and speculation. While waiting for Apple to make their announcements sometime in the next months, give careful thought as to what you use your computer for and in what ways it currently limits you from accomplishing your goals.

    Then, after any MBP upgrades/changes are announced, repost your question citing specifically what your usage / needs are and in what ways your current system fails to meet your needs. Only then can people offer useful advice as whether any new systems might be a better fit for your needs.

    In the end, though, the decision will remain yours since it involves a cost/benefit value judgement only you can make.
     
  3. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Mar 1, 2010
    Location:
    New Jersey
    #3
    I don't think it is worth selling and repurchasing. I think the monetary loss will trump any small performance gains.

    On the other hand I can see selling a 2010 MBP for a 2012 Ivy Bridge next year. That is my tentative plan as they might be able to support 8gb RAM sticks (16Gb max) and Light Peak should be out. Why update for a small bump today when a more significant bump will be out next year.
     
  4. Jenko thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2009
    #4
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

    Thanks for the input that makes a lot o sence. I should have refined my question better. I should have asked is it worth selling just to keep Up with technology upgrades but as you mentioned if the next significant upgrade won't really be for another year then I may just wait. I just wanted to make sure my MBP would not lose it's value to much when it will be worth upgrading.
    Thanks
    Jenko
     
  5. deeddawg macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2010
    Location:
    US
    #5
    Personally, I view any computer as a tool. It's not a showpiece for others to ooh and aah over, it's not an investment vehicle, it's merely a device that I use to accomplish my real goals. Those goals may be photo editing, document writing, spreadsheets, communicating via email/IM/skype, etc.

    As such, new technology is only relevant if it will substantially improve my ability to achieve my goals. Lets say a new MBP version offers 30% more CPU processing power and 25% more battery life. (I'm making up numbers here) If I am rarely constrained by the existing model's battery life and if I'm rarely waiting for a CPU intensive task to finish, then the new version really don't give me a real-world benefit. Sort of like buying a larger refrigerator; if my current one is never full of stuff, what benefit would a bigger one give me (all else the same)? None, so there's no value in trading up.

    This is why I suggest looking carefully at what you do with your computer and considering thoughtfully what specific areas might exist in which it does not meet your needs. Then when new versions come out you can more easily ascertain whether the new versions would serve you better; and if so, does the value to you exceed the cost of the upgrade? In this situation, upgrading every other or every third generation is often the best strategy.

    Some people do value having the latest and greatest just for the sake of being able to feel or say they're at the cutting edge. In those cases, upgrading with every new revision makes sense since they derive value from the object rather than what it does. In these folks case, it makes sense for them to upgrade with each new generation.
     
  6. Jodles macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2008
    #6
    deeddawg: That is exactly my viewpoint as well. The important thing is getting the task done. I'm on the first Alubook (late 08 macbook) and I figured it's all I actually need, although I must admit I've been tempted from time to time... Instead I have upgraded the ram from 2gb to 4gb, which made the performance pretty decent for my needs. (And I edit in Logic, FCP, do heavy Latex processing and work in Matlab.. I wonder what people uses their macbooks for! Things could always go a little faster, but it's not like I can't wait a couple of more seconds)..
     
  7. mdatwood macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2010
    Location:
    Denver, CO
    #7
    I have the 17" i7 and don't think it's worth it. Spend your money on max RAM and an SSD. The SSD in particular is a huge speed boost, much more than going to Sandy Bridge will be.

    As someone mentioned above, I'll upgrade my entire machine again when I can put 16GB of ram in (I have 8GB now).
     
  8. Jenko thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2009
    #8
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

    Great idea I will consider going to 8 gb over the next year and if ssd drop in price I might take that route by end of the year. Thanks guys really helpful info. Ad always mac rumors is well worth a visit. I think the first thing though is to purchase a portable hardrive. What advice can you give me with regards to a decent portable exterior
    Hardrive. I think i read that you should purchase a hardrive that has double the capacity of your MBP for example if my current one is 500gb then I should buy a1 tb external hardrive, is this correct?
     
  9. tim100 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    May 25, 2009
    #9
    i would not upgrade from a 2010 i7 to a 2011 i7, i would consider upgrading if there are radical changes in the line, like standard ssd hard drive or a major design change that would increase battery life.
     
  10. dal20402 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2006
    #10
    Agreed. Upgrading to 8 GB + SSD won't cost much (if any) more than the loss you would take on selling a 2010 model for a 2011, and it will make you much happier.
     

Share This Page