Sell iMac and buy 24'' Apple Cinema Display?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mac-mania, Apr 9, 2009.

1. mac-mania macrumors member

I have an iMac, the last revision, 20'' screen 2.4ghz processor, 3GB of RAM and the Radeon HD 2400. I bought it in August even though I wanted a laptop because I needed something with better graphics than the X3100 in the MacBook (I play WoW and Counter-Strike) but didn't want to drop the money on a MacBook Pro.

Needless to say I've grown really accustomed to the 20'' screen, and when the new MacBooks were announced I went out and bought one. Now I feel like I have 2500 dollars worth of computers and I'm realistically only using one at a time. A friend offered me 800 for my iMac and now I'm toying with selling it to him and buying the 24'' LED Cinema Display for my MacBook.

Oh great MacRumors, what do I do? Is the display better than that of the iMac other than being 4'' larger? Is it worth getting rid of a computer with a monitor built in for ... just a monitor?

2. hldomster macrumors member

Do it. Larger display = greater productivity. Also, the panel used in the cinema display is much better than the ones used in the iMacs.

3. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

If you're not using the iMac, what point is there in owning it? Although personally I would opt for selling the iMac, buying a 24" Dell monitor, and pocketing the $500. The Apple monitor is a great piece of kit, but it's more than most people need, and chances are you'd be just as happy with a cheaper monitor.

4. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

I did exactly what you are proposing and so far things are just great. The screen is not only larger but it is of much higher quality than the one in the 20" iMac (colours are much richer and more accurate). It has a higher resolution and VASTLY better viewing angles.

The only thing I'd recommend you buy alongside it is a stand to put your MacBook on. If you're going to run it in lid closed mode it's best not to have it flat on a desk because it releases a lot of heat from the bottom.

I got £660 for my iMac and the new display was £525 after student discount.

5. n-abounds macrumors 6502a

n-abounds

yea, except $800 for that iMac is way too little. That thing must have cost what ~$1700? It doesn't depreciate that quickly.

6. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

I would do this as well.

Yeah, the cinema display is nice, but unless you really want/need the quality and sexiness, you should just get a good quality monitor from Dell.

7. JoelHodder macrumors member

I'd sell the iMac and get a Dell monitor and a stand for your MacBook. Also, you could spend some money on speakers, gaming mouse etc.

I own this: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...etail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-7345 , and it's a great Full HD 1080p monitor with HDMI, DVI, VGA and audio in and out. I play PS3 on it, dual display my Acer laptop and I love it!

Unless your a major graphics designer or photographer etc. then this montior would be more than suitable for you.:D

Go for the Dell and splash out on some other things!

8. mcpryon2 macrumors 6502

mcpryon2

I wouldn't say it's way too little, you see them in that neighborhood on eBay. The 24" 2.4GHz is still showing up in the refurb store lately for $1049.

9. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

I'd try putting the imac on craigslist first.

10. mac-mania thread starter macrumors member

Well he's my friend, I'd rather not sell it elsewhere and I figure 800 is fair to both of us.

On another note, am I a complete idiot for wanting a 900 display just because it matches my notebook. I mean, the way I see it, if I turn around and take the 800 dollars, and buy the monitor (800 with student discount) I'm spending only tax out of pocket, so in my head it's not like I'm actually spending any money on the display, but realistically, if I can buy something similar for 400, is 400 the premium I really want to pay for a logo and a built in magsafe.

I guess that's the real question I'm trying to figure out.

11. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

For me it was a case of if I got a display which didn't have Magsafe then I'd have two computers plugged in, whereas before I only had one. This was a concern for me because I have a lack of available power outlets.

12. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

I don't think it's worth the premium. Dell makes gorgeous monitors, and unless you're doing intensive graphics work, you likely do not need the higher-quality panel in the Apple display. Magsafe, speakers, USB ports... those are all nice features, but not worth $400 imo. Hell, you could buy an extra Magsafe adapter and just leave it plugged in and still save $300 over the Apple display.

And because the $400 difference in price between the monitors was greater than the $19 price of a power bar...?

13. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

Just be aware that in some countries Apple displays are very competitively priced with Dell, particularly when educational discounts are involved.

If I were to buy a dell 2408 plus an additional power adaptor for my notebook it would cost 866 EUR.

If I were to buy the Apple 24 LED display it would cost 780 EUR. (849 sans Edu discount)

14. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

I think the Apple monitor is probably worth it. High quality panel, magsafe built right in, display port built right in, etc.

The little touches like that do matter. Yeah, you can pay a bit less for a monitor by some other brand (not that much less if you are shooting for a high quality panel like the Apple one), and then have a few extra wires and converter cables on your desk.... but honestly, how often will you be making a purchase like this?

I say spend the money and get the best experience possible (and best looking monitor too, after all it is a piece of furniture in a way and you will be staring at it for a long time to come).

15. erickj macrumors regular

I agree. I'm all about aesthetics and I want my products to match. And yes, I'll pay more for it. I'm just mad that the new 24" LED wont work with my early 2008 MacBook Pro. I'm praying for an adapter or fix?

16. That-Is-Bull macrumors 6502

That-Is-Bull

I'd sell the iMac and buy a 30" monitor for a couple hundred more.

17. The Hammer macrumors regular

Can the 24" cinema display be used for computers other than Apple's?

18. dwsolberg macrumors 6502a

I don't get how people refuse to consider looks, style and convenience when buying computer monitors. I mean, I could get clothes from Goodwill essentially for free, and they would function just fine, yet most people see the value in buying new, stylish clothing. Same with cars, same with furniture, same with just about everything but computers. I don't get it.

Obviously, if I was short on money, I'd do what I had to. I'm not arguing that some people need to choose basic functionality over style and convenience. I'm just saying that it's bizarre how people seem to think these things are not part of the buying experience just because it's a computer.

19. 11800506 macrumors 65816

No, not at the moment at least. Currently there are no Mini Displayport adapters so it'd be impossible to do so.

20. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Do you have a link? I'd be very surprised to see a regular Dell monitor that sells for ~$300 USD cost twice that in Europe. Keep in mind, I'm talking about a normal Dell, not an Ultrasharp. Your average consumer probably does not need an Ultraship, and so a regular Dell monitor would be just as serviceable for their needs as the Apple display.

Your post seems to assume that all other computers are ugly as sin. I, personally, consider Dell monitors very stylish, and would have no problem displaying one proudly on my desk. In fact, since I tend to prefer black to the white/aluminium look, I prefer Dell's offerings to the Apple display.

I won't disagree that aesthetics can be important, but Apple is not the only company making nice looking equipment.

21. dwsolberg macrumors 6502a

Sorry if it came across like that, although I don't particularly like the looks of Dell display housings, I understand that it does appeal to some. Also consider the lack of wires and speakers, video cameras, and chargers that crowd the desk and the area around typical monitors.

I also consider convenience. For example, I have one cord that connects to my MacBook's ports that allow me to charge my computer, use the monitor, listen to speakers, use the monitor's iSight camera, and connect to my usb devices (using the monitor's hub). Connecting and disconnecting cords is a major annoyance with typical setups, and Apple's setup is much better (though far from perfect).

I used to have a Dell monitor, but I never used it because the thick DVI cord (I tried a thin one with bad results) meant that the MacBook could only be put in a certain spot on my desk, and even then it was torquing the connection. I use this new monitor a LOT more because it's convenient.