Price Advice Sell iMac and MacBook Air for MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ishay1999, Jul 19, 2015.

1. ishay1999 macrumors newbie

I am a professional video editor.
    I currently have iMac 27" mid 2011 with 20gb RAM, 1TB HDD 2.7GHz i5 - For editing.
    I also have MacBook Air 13.3" early 2014 with 4gb RAM, 128gb flash 1.4GHz i5 - For daily use and school.

Maybe I should sell them both and buy a MacBook Pro, it will be better for editing since it's newer, it's i7, flash and I can edit on the go.
    Of course 15" are not enough, so I'll buy a screen too.
    The MacBook Pro will be used for editing and also for school because it's a laptop, but also strong.
    I don't care about 256gb vs. 1TB because I have 4tb external drive and 2tb portable external drive.

So is it worth it? should I sell them to buy the newest MacBook Pro considering the benefits I said and also the new "Metal" for OS X?

Thank you!

2. Suture macrumors 6502a

Suture

Seems like it -- especially if you want to edit on the go. That sentence alone tells it. I did the MBP + huge screen for a long time and got along fine doing my music.

3. ishay1999 thread starter macrumors newbie

edit on the go is just a little bonus, I am searching for something better for editing that will fit to my editing needs and to my school needs.
    Will the MacBook Pro will be better than the current iMac?

4. Suture macrumors 6502a

Suture

If you have to do homework on the go to, definitely go with a MBP. I also wouldn't bank on Metal being a huge selling point. I'm actually selling my MBA right now to get a 13" MBP to use for school. I need the extra resolution. However in my case, I'm keeping my 27" iMac for both gaming and recording my music.