sell imac buy mini?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by blof, Mar 7, 2009.

1. blof macrumors newbie

I have a late 2006 24" imac 2.16 with 2GB Ram 7300GT 128 GPU. It still has apple care until the end of the year.

Now, I'm trying to replace my computer before it is technologically and economically too late to sell. Do you think it makes sense to sell the imac and buy a new mac mini 2.0 and an ACD 24. Or should I wait until the imac is really outdated and then just buy a new computer?

Why mini? I guess/hope it will perform a bit better than my current imac. Besides, I'm hoping to buy a mac pro for video editing down the road (I don't know when really) and use the ACD with it. The mini will be my mediacenter.

Any advise?

thanks for reading

2. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Love the one you're with.

Does your current system meet your needs? Does the new one have features that you absolutely cannot live without? It is a core 2 duo, right?

I've got it's little brother, and it continues to meet my simple needs with no problems or hesitation.

While you're computer isn't obsolete, it's what, three releases behind the current systems. Since Apple just released new models, a lot of people will be trying to sell their older systems at a loss on either ebay or craigslist in an attempt to upgrade. In OKC, someone's trying to sell their white 24", with vista included, for $1050 OBO. Unless you load it up with software that you intend to keep the cd/dvd's for (which makes you a pirate), you will take a painful hit.

I doubt you'll be able to tell any difference between the two systems. I'm not even sure there is a difference at all. If your current system meets your needs, keep using it until it doesn't. Or until it breaks and is too expensive to repair. I think you'd be better off maxing the ram to 3.3/4 gigs and having a larger 7200 rpm hard drive installed rather than buying a new, but low end system.

3. gjw4u macrumors 6502

I stick with the iMac, and go for the Pro when you need it down the road.

4. mcavjame macrumors 65816

mcavjame

You would also be moving from a system with dedicated video and faster hard drive.

5. blof thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice.

To be honest, there is nothing wrong with the imac. For what I'm doing (internet, hi-res movie watching, raw photo editing etc.) it is really great and probably it will still be great in the coming 2-3 years. My concern was that when it becomes obsolete, I will have to throw it away even though the LCD on it will still be functioning. That bothers me a little bit. The question was; should I throw away 500-700 now instead of 1000-1500 at the end.

I guess I'll follow your advice and keep using this imac as far as it goes.

best,

6. MistaBungle macrumors 6502a

MistaBungle

You are just going to throw it away? Please, I'll give you my address in 2-3 years and you can send me this!

7. blof thread starter macrumors newbie

I thought that's what Mr. Jobs expects us to do, dump and buy. In theory he wants us to buy every new mac.

Anyway, please re-read my post as obsolete=nonfunctioning (e.g. dead logicboard)

best,