Sell iMac for 24"ACD??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by brendu, Sep 17, 2009.

1. brendu macrumors 68020

So i have the new UMBP13" and im finding more and more that i dont really use my iMac as much because im tired of having different things saved on different machines. The iMac is still my main work place though because of the screen real estate and the bigger HDD.

Today I had the thought that i could sell my iMac and buy a refurb 24"LED ACD and 300-500GB HDD to put in the mbp, then I wouldnt lose any storage space and i could keep everything on the one computer..

Is it worth it, or just stick with the setup ive got running?

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Your sanity is worth something. You can either do what you propose and create a single workstation with an external monitor (I have that setup and I'm quite fond of it) or you can get into the cloud computing thing were you sync all your stuff with mobileme or what have you. You should also take a look at hp and dell monitors - the have models with the same panel as the ACD's, but at a considerable savings.

3. brendu thread starter macrumors 68020

So ive decided to keep my iMac for now, and when my rebate from my student ipod deal comes back im gonna use that to buy an external monitor, other than the ACD.. its too expensive.. ive been reading the other forums on which monitors are good so i will be looking into HP and really Dell monitors around 24" anyone know of any that have good built in speakers?

4. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

This is exactly what I did. Dropped my iMac and picked up a cinema display to keep my 15" MBP company. Best decision ever.

5. brendu thread starter macrumors 68020

so i just picked up the dell 24"LCD S2409W and im quite happy with it... still trying to decide if im going to sell my iMac though... Real tough call.. i love that machine..

6. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...keep the iMac...what will you do if either machine needs a repair?

Sure you can back up to the "cloud" but how do you access that if you only have one machine and its not with you (for a repair, stolen, etc...)...