Sell iMac for MBA?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by thankins, Jul 3, 2011.

1. thankins macrumors 6502

Hey guys - wanted to get some advice from ya

I have a 27 inch iMac (3.06 C2D, 8 GBs RAM, 1 TB HD), a 15' i5 MBP and a 27 inch cinema display.

I have been using the cinema display with my iMac but thinking I should look at selling it and just using the cinema display with the MBP as my desktop (since it is a little more powerful that the iMac) and then getting a MBA to take with me to clients when I need a laptop.

The two monitor setup is great but full screen apps in Lion seems to defeat the idea of having two monitors.

The iMac is getting older now and will continue to lose value if I keep it around but at the same time i am worried about the heat issues and what not running the MBP in clam shell mode. I have been playing TF2 a lot on my iMac but don't want to damage the MBP if it gets to hot

Thoughts? Suggestions?

2. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

i think it's a good idea but you should be prepared to throw down some extra $ to purchase the mba, because you aren't looking at enough funds solely from selling that specific imac in order to cover the entire price of a new mba.

although another alternative would be selling the mbp and ACD. what do you use the mbp? what you would use the air for? in which case, just sell that and the ACD. keep your iMac for a desktop and have the Air for portibability.

3. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    I agree, solid thinking:cool:

4. meerkat35 macrumors newbie

Agree :)

5. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

I'd go over iMac anyday rather than MBP + Apple Cinema Display. More space, more heat tolerance and you can't beat iMac experience with MBP.

Maybe your MBP is slightly more powerful due to newer processor, but so does current iMac, it's essentially faster than current Macbook Pro. So why don't u just sell anything Apple you have now.

Get yourself a new iMac, whichever suit your needs and budget, and if you can .. get yourself the cheapest Macbook Air available to bring to client. No need a powerful computer just for demo or meeting with client. That's iMac is for