Sell iMac for MBP or upgrade RAM

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nillox, May 16, 2011.

1. nillox macrumors newbie

I'm in a little bit of a pickle. I've recently started working in a computer store and I'm being teased daily by the MacBook Pros with i5s and i7s :(

I have an old MacBook with a 1.83 core 2 duo and an iMac with a 3.06 core 2 duo. I use them for ProTools and music editing mostly.
    I was wondering, would it be worth my while to upgrade the ram on my iMac to 16gb or sell/trade/recycle the 2 of them and get a MacBook Pro???

Currently my MB is maxed with 2gb of ram and iMac has 4gb.
    Would 16gb of ram help to be up to par with an i7 MBP??

Thanks, Colin.

2. Penn Jennings macrumors 6502

I would suggest running Activity Monitor for a day or two. Leave it open when you perform normal to heavy tasks. From time to time look at your system memory. If you have a lot of paging activity, more memory will help. If you Used memory is high in comparison to your actually memory, more memory might help.

I don't know anything about your application but I will say this: IF your application does not have access to as physical memory as it would like, adding more memory can yield a huge performance boost. However, if your application will not use the additional memory it will not do much to improve performance.

On the iMac, and again, without knowing your application, or the price difference between 16GB and 8GB, it seems that if you currently have 4GB and don't really notice a problem it seems unlikely that you you would need 16GB. 8GB maybe.

On the MacBook, 2 GB sounds low to me personally but I don't know your applications and in any event, you said that it was maxed :(

Good Luck.