Sell iMac or MBP and buy iPads?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JajoPGH, Apr 8, 2010.

1. JajoPGH macrumors regular

I have a 27inch iMac and a 15 inch MBP, both C2D, both barely 6 months old.

Anyways, I barely use my iMac because I am on the MBP more often, plus I like to use the MBP when I'm lounging around. It also feels like I have an emotional connection to the laptop since it's my first Mac, and I wanted one BADLY before I got it.

Right now, I'm thinking of selling one of the computers...iMac or MBP and pick up 2 iPads (one for me, one for wife).

Unfortunately, I think it would be better to sell the MBP and keep the iMac for work/school while using the iPad to web browse/BS with.

OR, keep both computers and get one iPad? A tricky situation, to be sure.

It would be nice to see what some of you think.

Thank you

2. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...why don't you got to an apple store and try one out first... with the machines you have now, do you really need it or just have $$ burning a hole in your pocket...

Also, for me I'm waiting at least until the 2nd rev of the iPad to see if I like it enough to buy one... or just get the 4G iPod touch when they finally come out with a camera built into them...

3. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

If I were you I would sell the imac, buy a 24inch screen to go with the MBP and then buy the ipads...this way you'll have the portability as well as the big screen experience with your MBP, and you can surf internet/do BS on your ipad.

peace.

4. rpang macrumors member

I don't know how it will be a month from now, but I have not touched my MacBook since I picked up my ipad. My main workstation at home is my iMac. I mainly use my MacBook for travel and as my couch browser and email checker. Now, the ipad is doing that. It's too early to really tell and I don't know how long the novelty will last with me.

5. JajoPGH thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies so far...

The only thing that the MBP would trump the iPad in is Photoshop work.

And even then, when I fire up Photoshop on my MBP, I quickly feel stupid knowing I have a 27 inch screen upstairs. So I turn the laptop off and go on my desktop.

Other than that, I don't use the laptop for many difficult tasks.

6. auero macrumors 65816

I'm sort of in the same situation as you but mine is twisted. I sold my macbook pro so I could buy a i7 iMac (gets here thursday). Then I sprang for the iPad this past monday and I've been only using it for my computer while I wait since I don't have another machine.

I like it but there are times where it's killing me to just hop onto a regular computer. I think its the lack of multitasking kills it (yes I know its coming this fall...but really come on thats a long ways away) You CAN manage but it becomes frustrating when you can't click a link in facebook chat because you'll be disconnected from your chat or the inability to even keep multiple websites open.

My logic to it is that for an extra 500 bucks I could get myself a 13" macbook pro. I'm just afraid of your situation with neglecting the iMac if I were to do that.

If you have used an iPad I suggest you do and try and go through your routine of couch surfing. I found that the iPad limited my routine in a lot of ways such as downloading a song or listening to something because the lack of flash. I personally think your current setup is perfect and I wouldn't change it. If the iPad were to cost less, I'd probably get one along with a laptop but thats not the case. This in no way is a replacement for a laptop and if you want to go somewhere to write a paper for school, writing on the iPad is going to become frustrating.

7. JNickyJJ macrumors member

keep both devices and buy one iPad [​IMG] you're married. can't you share!?

8. JNickyJJ macrumors member

sorry but just about the facebook chat thing... push notifications dude, and most im clients have an inbuilt web browser now!

9. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Why would you sell one of your perfectly new computers to get a big iPod Touch that is inferior in every aspect? :confused:

Create a user account for your wife on both of your machines, share them and be done with it.

10. sparkomatic macrumors 6502a

sparkomatic

This is what I'm planning on doing!

11. JajoPGH thread starter macrumors regular

To be honest, I think I just want the newest and greatest thing from Apple.

When I take my laptop with me on my travels, it's not a hassle. I'm sure the iPad would be much easier to keep with me, though. But it's not like I take my laptop to work or that it's necassary for my livelihood.

You're right though, it basically is a big iPod, and I already have an iPhone and plan to upgrade in the summer. To be honest, when I think about the reasons I want an iPad, I have to really reach to find some! My main reason is, "I want the latest and greatest thing"

To those who mentioned the laptop and monitor connection, good idea, but I'd like to get an Apple Display. When the 27 inchers come out, they'll be at least 1000 I think. Forget that noise!

12. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Hey, at least you are honest, I like that. :)

Maybe go to an Apple store with your wife and try the iPad first, and decide then?

And while constantly wanting the latest and newest gadgets is understandable, think about the other useful things you could do with this money – maybe a nice vacation with your wife. Soon there will be new mbps, and a newer iPad sometime this fall... you can constantly throw money in that direction, but will it ever really satisfy you?

13. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...I was in an apple store yesterday and it amazes me how many iPad's were sailing out the door... I would consider one IF it had 3G and IF I wasn't stationed in Japan where I have no idea what the data plans will cost "yet"?...

And when they get multi-tasking..."rev B"...