Sell iPad 2 for HD?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by BlackMamba14, Jul 12, 2011.

1. BlackMamba14 macrumors regular

What would the iPad HD have to have for you to sell your iPad 2? I have been waiting for Retina Display and am tempted to sell my iPad 2

2. nickbarbs macrumors regular

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

It isn't going to happen. iPAD HD as a third more expensive ultimate SKU - makes no sense when iPad 3 will come in Spring sporting retina across the board.

iPad HD in the fall makes even less sense when no developers have made allowances for their apps to be retina'd for it, and by the time we do see retina app updates - the iPad 3 will surely be announced anyway.

Logic and common sense say an iPad HD this fall will not happen.

---

On the slimmest remote chance of it happening - i still would not spend even more money on a 'retina' enabled iPad (assuming it would be more expensive than the 64GB 3G so possibly $899) knowing that in just 3-4 months time a $499 model will have the same display and possibly a better processor and gpu to boot.

4. BlackMamba14 thread starter macrumors regular

True. I guess I'll wait for iPad 3 when everything is updated.

5. Kebabselector, Jul 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2011

Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

Sometimes you have to wonder if all these iPad 3/4/5 HD Widescreen GTi reports coming from analysts are just a way to stop people buying iPads in preference to other 'better specified'* tablets.

*I don't give a **** about specs to be honest.

Wow -2 must have upset some

6. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

I just don't think Apple will release a new iPad when the iPad 2 is still selling so well and they still haven't fully caught up with demand.

7. urkel, Jul 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2011

urkel macrumors 68030

I would hope there would be more to a "Pro" device than just a retina display. I dont even see how that single feature would improve the iPad experience unless it was coupled with better hardware features and 1st party Pro level apps with actual support and frequent updates.

Content creation tools (FCP, Aperture, iMovie, Garage Band) tend to need more attention and feature implementations than business apps, but Apple tends to drop an app bomb but then ignore updating it for extended periods of time because their focus shifts to the next product category. So if we are to get Pro level iPad hardware then Apple has to be serious about supporting it, and lately it seems that the Pro users have become Apple's "Hobby".

8. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I love my iPad to death, but no new model is going to make me buy 2 iPads in one year.

9. taipan61 macrumors 6502

since it's already an outdated model and everyone's anticipating the next best thing i'll take your iPad2 off your hands for a quick turnaround price of $1...best offer out there so far!...:D (kidding)

10. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Sustain a loss of several hundred dollars for eye candy on a nine inch screen? I don't think so.

11. nwbusa macrumors regular

I think this post said it best.

12. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Sell your iPad now and then wait the six months needed for the next iPad.

13. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

The only thing you'll see this fall is the launch of iCloud + iOS 5, the new iPhone, and maybe some new iPods in addition to some Mac refreshes later on. I doubt we'll see the next iPad until March. :)

14. deeddawg macrumors 604

How dare you cite logic and common sense on MacRumors! :D

And so the MR cycle goes...
    1. Speculation
    2. Build Up
    3. Expectation
    4. Disappointment
    5. Repeat

There is a logic to Apple having a Sept/Oct release for an ipad device, as that primes the pump for Christmas sales...

... on the other hand, look at availability 2-3 months after March release. What incentive would they have to create even greater demand?

No, there's a certain logic to the current cycle; build up stocks in Aug/Sept/Oct for Nov/Dec xmas sales, taper off prod'n in January, then shift production to the next revision for a March/April release.

15. poloponies macrumors 68030

I'll throw some logic into the OP's illogical premise.

IF the HD rumors are true then there is absolutely no way the "HD" model will in any way compete with the iPad 2 price-wise. It would likely be in the $1,000 range. The iPad 2 would continue to be sold at its current price point so resale shouldn't suffer much, if at all. So wait.

16. tactician1016 macrumors regular

tactician1016

Huh. I think that' the SPUF (Steam Forums) TF2 cycle too. Those few weeks before the Uber Update were chaos.