Sell iPad 2 for iPhone 4S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Shadyriley, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Shadyriley macrumors 6502

So I have an iPad 2 + used black leather smart cover with a 3 year protection plan via best buy, accident drop/spill coverage. So I think I can sell it for $800+ transfering the coverage over. Then I would have to pay $100 to get out of my sprint contact, then $200 to start a new one to get iPhone 4S, plus tax. So I would have like $300 left over. My reasoning is I have a Pam pixi which is on its last leg sll falling spart dont get me started on how ****** it is. So basically, I need a new phone more than I need an ipad (which is a luxury, really), plus the ipad 3 is coming out next year so I can hold out for that and now is the best time to sell the ipad 2 before the 3 comes out. Also my dad got me the ipad for christmas so I feel wrong/weird about pretty much exchanging it for the iphone4s. What do you guys think???

2. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Seeing as your dad got the iPad for you I wouldn't.

3. mom333, Oct 26, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2011

mom333 macrumors regular

I love my iPad2 and would never sell it. I don't understand why you are against trading it in but not against selling it. Either way, aren't you risking hurting your dad's feelings?

If it were me, I'd keep the iPad and look at other phone options. Perhaps buying an older iPhone off of Ebay or Craig's list, if you aren't eligible and/or can't afford a new iPhone with a carrier.

4. PerplexShyt macrumors 6502

5. tonyy macrumors 6502a

tonyy

Keep your iPad. It was a gift from your dad. Why not look into just the iPhone 4?

6. MrJay23 macrumors member

7. koigirl macrumors 6502a

koigirl

Keep your iPad 2 and wait for a phone upgrade!:eek: It's just a phone plus this was a generous gift from your dad. Find a used cheap smartphone on CL if you need something to tide you over. Lots of underpriced Androids out there or even 3GS if that would work with your carrier. I love my iPad 2 and can't imagine sacrificing it for the smaller screen real estate on the iPhone!!! What about a used Palm Pre?

8. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

You say iPad is a luxury, well so is the iPhone. I would stick with the iPad unless you aren't using it much or won't lose a lot of money on the sale. I'm just not a fan of selling belongings in desperation for the next best thing.

9. ron808 macrumors regular

ron808

10. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Do what ever u want man. The iPhone will always be with u so u will surely get more use on it than the iPad

11. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

This sums it up :apple:

12. madKIR macrumors 6502

I would never do that!
    I love my iPad 2 to death!
    It's the most powerful iOS device yet and it has an amazing battery life!
    I have an iPhone 4, so I don't see the point in upgrading to something that has such a terrible battery life. I feel sorry for those who jumped on the 4S bandwagon without reading the reviews first.

13. tonyy macrumors 6502a

tonyy

My 4s has been great so far.

14. madKIR macrumors 6502

Good for you! But it makes it even worse: it means it's not software, it means there are many defective units out there.

15. Shadyriley thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmmm ok i think you guys are right. I will keep it and save up for an iphone, christmas is coming up anyway so maybe ill get some cash to buy it. THANK YOU for helping me realize what a mistake I would have made.

16. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

17. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Why should we wait for a review for? I had an iPhone 4 and upgraded to the 4S and love it. I'm sure the iPhone 4 launch was the same and there was tons of 4 that were defective and had to be replaced.

18. Shadyriley thread starter macrumors 6502

Im using the words trading and selling to mean the same thing. I said pretty much trading it, even though I would be selling it then getting an iphone 4s, same thing in the end.

19. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

I would sell something I personally bought before I sold something a close family member bought.

And if selling something else isn't an option, I'd find some more hours at work or some other job to make some extra cash. If properly motivated you could have a job delivering pizzas before the end of the week.

20. mattdo93 macrumors 6502

mattdo93

If you bought the iPad yourself or anything else, then I'd be fine with you selling it. But since your dad bought it for you, I'd keep it. It hurts knowing someone sold your gift for something else..

21. koigirl macrumors 6502a

koigirl

Seriously, look on Craigslist for inexpensive used smartphone in excellent condition and buy it if your existing phone is in unusable condition. Then when you have saved enough for the iPhone 4S, you can resell the used smartphone for very close to what you paid for it. You can use it for a couple of months without experiencing much additional depreciation as long as you buy at a low price and take care of it while you're using it in the interim.:)