Sell iPad 2 for the new iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by clcnyc, Oct 26, 2012.

1. clcnyc macrumors regular

clcnyc

So, I'm contemplating selling my iPad 2 for the "new iPad" (not mini). Is this a bad idea? My iPad 2 is in perfect condition. I'd just like something faster. But I also know it's a wee bit thicker. Yes, I realize I'm giving in to the get everything new temptation. It's just so shiny and new :D

Thoughts? Who else is doing this?

2. Jonnyfive macrumors regular

I've got a 2 still and haven't seen the need to upgrade.

The retina is a selling point. Plus it's nice to get a new shiny gadget...

3. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

Go For It!

Nah, not at all. I'm doing the same (selling my 32 gb iPad2) except I opted for the 64 gb black iPad Mini. Anyway, if my preference was for the new iPad model, I'd still sell my iPad 2 in a heartbeat. Life is too short for you not to have what you want :cool:

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I think the new iPad is a nice upgrade from the iPad 2. Go for it, OP.

5. mac jones macrumors 68040

I have both

Thing is, I'm typing this on the 2 right now. Why?

Because the 3 takes soooo long to charge, ands its out of power.

But the new charger hopefully will help this . Also, I think the 2s battery life in general is a few hours longer. In other words: I like it.

6. martinm0 macrumors 6502a

I really thought I wouldn't want/need the Retina display on the iPad 3 when it came out, but I'm at a point where I can't even use my iPad 2 because of how pixelated the text is compared to my iPhone. The sad thing is that the wife bought me the iPad 2 last year and will not let me resell it. Sigh.

7. clcnyc thread starter macrumors regular

clcnyc

I think my biggest concern is the weight/thickness. Is it that noticeable?

8. aneftp macrumors 68040

If money is no issue. Sell iPad 2 and get iPad 4.

But honestly (I own all 3 iPads). iPad 2 and 3 are very similar in speeds.

Sure iPad 4 will be faster. But I think u just hang on to iPad 2 until next iPad 5 release.

iPad 3 is heavier than 2. Hopefully iPad 5 will e lighter. Retina display isn't essential for most of us.

9. Breaking Good macrumors 6502a

Just my opinion, I would do it for an iPad 4. I would not do it for an iPad mini.

The iPad 4 is sporting the latest processor, the latest plug and the retina display. I predict it will be around and supported for some time.

The iPad mini is running a obsolete processor and and yesterday's technology for the screen. It think Apple will end up dropping it like a bad habit pretty quick.

10. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Yes, yes, but no.

Yes it's old. But Apple won't be dropping support. Look at 3GS. 3 yrs old and still getting support because they were still selling it.

A5 is not wimpy, for a mobile device running mobile applications. The dual-core A5 is a capable cpu for the masses.

Most here are nerds representing the .01%.

11. coldpower27 macrumors regular

Makes sense as the iPad 3 and 2 still have the same CPU.

iPad 4 finally brings things back to iPad 2 equivalent levels. Screen is 4x the resolution, but the GPU is 4x more powerful. Plus 2x faster CPU!

Now I will just have to make sure to charge the iPad 4 every night it's below 50% power.

12. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

I'm dealing with this same issue right now with my wife. I want a new mini but my ipad 2 is still running great. Ugh.

13. martinm0 macrumors 6502a

The weight/thickness isn't really that noticeable. Only time it came up is when I tried to put my iPad 2 hard case on the 3, which wouldn't fit. Otherwise its the heat that was the most noticeable for me. But the retina screen is really worth it for any/all of these tradeoffs.

14. urkel macrumors 68030

IMO, unless you have a specific need that isn't addressed with your iPad 2 then I'd wait for the iPad 5 because I never had issues with the iPad 2 screen and the difference between 2 and 3 didn't feel like much and I went back to the 2. So what I'm waiting for is a redesign.

15. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

I ended up selling my refurbished 16GB white iPad 2 a couple days ago on Amazon for $330 so upgrading to the 4 isn't such a financial burden. I think it'll be a very worthy upgrade from the iPad 2 to be honest. The retina display, A6X processer, and HD cameras alone make for a much better tablet.