Sell iPad 2 ready for iPad 3

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JazzyFizzle, Jan 25, 2012.

1. JazzyFizzle macrumors member

Should I sell my iPad 2, save the money & buy an iPad 3 when it's released? I have a potential buyer who I can get £350 from for my 16GB Wifi iPad 2.

In the UK, the entry level iPads have always been £400 so I'm pretty sure the iPad 3 will follow the same price.

Should I sell it now, put £50 in and save the money for an iPad 3?

Opinions please!

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

That's a pretty good price for a 16GB.....If you can do without until the new one is released (and we don't know when that will be) I'd say sell it.

If you are thinking that the ipad3's release is imminent, then you know more than we do :) You could be without for a while.

3. j4mieuk macrumors newbie

I am doing the same, I have a white 64GB Wi-Fi and have been offered £435 I didn't even use half of the 64GB available and will be opting for a 32GB when the new iPad arrives. Hoping that it will be around the £479 mark so I only have to put £50 towards a new one. :)

4. clothesfee macrumors newbie

If there is someone who's willing to pay that price, I suggest you just go ahead and sell it.

5. JazzyFizzle thread starter macrumors member

I've had it since iPad 2 came out, but its condition is as good as new, I think £350 is reasonable :) !

If only we had a better idea of when it will be released. I'd only bother replacing it for an iPad 3 if it had that high-res screen. I'm thinking I should maybe wait until more info is revealed, otherwise I might be disappointed....

It's a hard decision.... :)

6. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

You iPad 2 will never be worth more than it is TODAY!:cool:

7. Scarpad macrumors 68000

Scarpad

It is Hard I sold mine for a good price, but now just have to wait till they come out, fortunately I still have my Iphone, and an Asus tablet, that can at least do the basics, but I miss my ipad.

8. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

Even if its in pristine condition 350 is not reasonable for something that is already almost a year old and cost only 50 bucks more brand new...... The person willing to pay that is either uninformed or just doesnt care, From your perspective I would say sell it ASAP if you find someone dumb enough to pay that amount.

This decision is not hard at all you used an ipad for almost a year and only paid a net of 50 bucks for it.

9. JazzyFizzle thread starter macrumors member

You are right. When you put it like that it would make sense to sell it asap!

Thanks for comments. I think I've decided to sell it :)

10. matttye macrumors 601

At least wait and see what features it's going to have first, it might be a massive flop like the 4S was.

11. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

the 4S is breaking all kinds of sales records for the iPhone... If thats a massive flop then Apple would like all their products to flop just as massively.

12. Gunny011 macrumors regular

I got offered £330 for mine after putting it on Gumtree for £350, I thought it would be a good time to sell and wait for the three. I had it since March as well.

I say sell it.

13. matttye macrumors 601

It would've sold even better if it wasn't a small incremental upgrade.

14. gadget123 macrumors 68000

Personally I'd keep it. Who wants to be without an Ipad for 2 months. :confused:

And even after the Ipad 3 is out Apple products hold value so it's always worth £200+.

15. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

£350 is the best price you'll get for it. Once the buzz starts about the iPad 3, you'll be lucky if you get more then £300 for it. After the announcement...the depreciation value will be painful, especially if the upgrade is significant.

That being said, you've got a good couple of months before we can expect the next generation, are you sure you want to be without for so long?

16. gadget123 macrumors 68000

Why lucky?

I bet the Galaxy Tab drops in value more.

I recently sold an 8GB Ipod touch for £105 a third gen model too at xmas but a few months before I got somebody one as a gift and it was £70.

Plus it's rumoured the Ipad 2 will stick around as an entry model. The OP thinks the new Ipad will be the same price but I infact think this will be the pricing:

Ipad 2 16GB Wi-fi - £369
    Ipad 3 16GB Wi-fi - £450

The first Ipad was more expensive than Ipad 2 so with better battery or retina the price will be much greater I think.

17. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

In the US, they were the same price. If the price differed in the UK, then that was due to exchange rate, so there's no predicting the price difference for the next gen models.

18. JazzyFizzle thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for comments guys. 2 months won't be too painful. If anything my girlfriend will suffer more :rolleyes:

It's a bit of a gamble but I'm confident I won't be disappointed. @gadget123 they could increase the price if they put a retina display in there, but even putting £100 towards it is worth it, especially if we get a substantial processor upgrade.

The iPhone 4 felt like a massive upgrade with the retina display, A4 & design. 4S felt like a small(ish) upgrade compared. I think it's time for the iPad to get a big update. I doubt they'd go another year without putting a better screen in there.

19. WLS macrumors 65816

I would add that unusually high offers on eBay could be scams and the seller could wind up with nothing. Just saying there are a lot of scammers looking to con someone into sending them a free iPad so don't be naive- be cautious.

20. iMoo macrumors regular

iMoo

yeah i have iPad 32gb wi-fi version and put on eBay and ends this Sunday. Was hard to do because i love it but thought best now because when everyone finds out about iPad 3 then i think the 1st gen will drop real low.

I should get around £270-300 for it loking at what they have been selling at, so around £250 after fees towards the new one when it is released. I too have iPhone 4 so will have to try to live with that for now.

Just hope its a big upgrade and the few months (hope its only that long) pays off.

21. matttye macrumors 601

No wonder Apple is so profitable when people blindly sell their devices to buy the next product that may or may not even be released and may or may not have worthwhile upgrades.

Stupidity.

22. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

I would say lucky because people tend to be more clued into Apple's product cycle nowadays, and the resell value will be affected by those who would simply wait for the next generation (unless of course, a bargain was to be had).

I followed resell values closely last year when I was considering doing the same as OP. Priced dropped, then once again after the iPad 2 was actually announced. The average price for a 64GB 3G model was only about £400-450. Roughly a 40% price drop in less then a year, even worse if you sold via eBay which would take another £40 or so :eek:

Though I agree, if the 2012 model is more expensive or if Apple decide to keep the iPad 2 as an entry model then I might be completely off.