Sell iPad 3 for iPad Mini

Discussion in 'iPad' started by BPMCH02, Oct 27, 2012.

1. BPMCH02 macrumors regular

I am really having a hard time deciding if I should do this. I don't really play any games other than things like Angry Birds, etc so that is not an issue. And as I recall the iPad 2 was pretty darn fast.

I like the iPad Mini because of the size, the new connector, and the upgraded cameras...however, I also like the idea of getting about $100 in cash for the "upgrade" from the iPad 3.

What do you guys think about going from an iPad 3 to an iPad mini?

:confused:

2. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

ipad 3 to ipad mini isn't an upgrade when it has no retina, half the RAM, A5 chip

3. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

It's a great idea if you need the smaller form factor. If you are doing it just to save $100, I think its a bad idea.

4. Maskusee macrumors 6502a

Maskusee

It all depends on what you will be using it for. For mobility, seems like the mini would be the optimal choice. Or you can just man up and carry something a bit more bigger/heavier with a much better display, chip, ram.

There's no way I'd sell my iPad 3 for the mini.

5. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

I am doing it, but more because I don't use my iPad as much since getting an 11" Macbook Air. They are nearly the same size so I usually just use the Air when I have the option.

I would be more inclined to use the mini given it is actually smaller.

6. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

I think you should at least wait until you get the mini then decide.

7. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

It's unknown how much RAM it's got. Not all A5 chips are equal - it depends on the product.

Also, the iPad 3's also got an A5 chip, really. The -X just stands for the graphics - and we're not talking about increased performance, we're talking about 'just enough to run the retina display'.

In fact, if you think about it: the A5X chip has to push four times as many pixels as before, but it's only twice as powerful. This means, relatively, the A5 chip with a 1024 x 768 display, is still twice as powerful as an A5X chip which needs to push a 2048 x 1536 Retina display.

----------

I think it's a very good question, honestly. There are only a few differences between the iPad 3 and the iPad mini, namely: the bigger Retina display, A5X chip, FaceTime HD and the Lightning connector.

If you sell your iPad 3, you'll miss the Retina display with its A5X chip. In return, you'll get a 1024 x 768 that, quality-wise, is in between the iPad 2 and iPad 3. It's obviously a tad smaller too. You'll get an A5 chip instead of an A5X chip. This means graphics performance will get better and CPU performance stays the same on the iPad mini.

Graphics performance gets better because the A5X chip is only twice as powerful as the A5 chip - a Retina display needs four times the power. So basically, a non-Retina display device with an A5 chip, is more powerful than a Retina display-device with an A5X chip.

You'll also get the new Lightning connector, which will be Apple's new dock connector for the years to come, and FaceTime HD for HD video calling.

So, yes, you'll lose the Retina display but in return you get a device that is smaller, lighter, thinner and is equal or better in every other way possible.

8. BPMCH02 thread starter macrumors regular

Man, see I want to do it I think...still can't decide, but I better decide quickly since the shipping time frame is slipping...32GB still good, but may slip at any time.

9. ipoddin, Oct 27, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2012

ipoddin macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

It's really about form factor and how you use it. Since I picked up a Nexus 7 I hardly ever touch the iPad 3. It's just much easier to hold, lighter, and easier to carry around. To get that same experience only with an iOS device has me considering selling my iPad 3 as well.

And with a personal hotspot feature on my iPhone 5 I have no need for an lte iPad either anymore.

10. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

11. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

You make a good point about the A5X actually as the iPad 3 doesn't run as smooth as the iPad 2

12. redman042 macrumors 68020

How about you order it, but when it comes, don't open it until you can visit an Apple store and try one on display. If you don't like it, return it unopened.

13. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

agreed. my iPad 3 runs Metal Storm horribly compared to my iPad 2

14. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

and NOVA 4 for the iPad 2 and iPad 3 are actually different versions, the iPad 3 version is mission a lot of effects and textures because the iPad 3 is barely maintaining the game at the super high retina resolution and even rans slightly slower

the iPad 4 will finally be head and shoulders over the iPad 2, run much faster and do it at retina res as opposed to being slightly slower at retina res