Sell iPad and get MB Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Rossatron, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Rossatron macrumors 6502a

I know this may seem like a weird question, but bear with me:

I like my ipad (32GB, 4th gen) very much - it's portable, has good battery life and very easy to just pop outta the bag for a quick web search. Be that as it may, I started thinking about the MB air.
    - It, too, is very portable and has great battery life.
    - I can get more out of it, feature-wise, like chatting and watching youtube at the same time.
    - I can prop it against my bedroom wall so I can watch videos in bed (what I do now with my ipad).
    - no need to convert videos.

Now, I mostly use the ipad for YouTube, web browsing, Facebook, reading and as cook book. I have some games on it, but I find that they make a very small fraction of my ipad-usage.

If I go through with this, I would go for the base model 11" air - so we're talking about spending $1250, out of which around $500 will be covered from the ipad sale (apple products here cost about 5/4 of their retail price in the U.S) and the rest ill have to fork out of my own money.

My concerns are this:
    - will I be able to get my cooking apps on the Mac? I am aware that I will have to purchase some of them again, but are "cookbook; all recipes; BBC recipes" be available? And how 'smart' is it, using a Mac in the kitchen? Of course, it won't be directly over what I'm making, but its a kitchen, and things tend to splash here and there.

- is there anyone here that uses 2 laptops? When I think about having an air, on top of my MBP, it sounds like a really strange idea.

- will there be anything that ill lose, that I'm not aware of?

- has anyone made that kind of switch and can share what led him / her to make this decision?

2. falconeight Guest

falconeight

Don't get an air as a ipad replacement. The ipad is great at what you use it for and the mac air isn't.

3. PDFierro macrumors 68040

The iPad sounds insanely perfect for what you use it for. No need to waste your money.

4. sk3tch macrumors regular

Ha.

I was going to sell my iPad 4 but I love both too much. MacBook Air 11" is a powerhouse portable...and iPad 4 is handy and quick for some things, as well.

5. falconeight Guest

falconeight

I have a mac and ipad as well. I love my ipad and all its apps to much to let it ever go.

6. LeeM macrumors 6502a

i have a pro, and traded my ipad for an 11" air. i love the air its much better at most of what i used my iPad for.

however i miss having the ipad as a book reader, and i miss games like all the angry birds.
    i'll buy the next ipad mini for sure but i wont give up my 11" air.

----------

to add, for youtube, facebook and web, the air is a million times better. you can do all 3 in safari and i personally find the ios facebook app to be a steaming pile of *****

7. iAndyPham macrumors newbie

You have already gotten an MBP, so my suggestion is, bloody hell no.

8. KiwiAdventure macrumors 6502a

I have a iPad 4 128g and a day old 2013 13" 256g Air and very much like them both. I use my iPad for building site visits as it's so handy reading plans and going over job details I also use the iPad on planes flights. Its so easy to attach the iPad to the TV screens on the back of the seats in front and being a 128g I have heaps of TV shows and movies to watch. :cool:

I would recommend keeping the iPad and wait unit you have enough cash to buy the new Air as well.

9. Rossatron thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the advices :) ill be keeping my ipad